Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of fabric artwork that needs an octagon frame.... The artwork is 40 inches in diameter .....
Need some help calculating the size of the pieces.....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stephens73 said:
Just cut each at 22.5 degrees for your cuts.
I know the angle to use, but not the length of the pieces..... I must be missing something simple.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a piece of fabric artwork that needs an octagon frame.... The artwork is 40 inches in diameter .....
Need some help calculating the size of the pieces.....

you say 40 inches in diameter is that round ? fitting into a octagon frame 8 sideed ? just wondering

·
Registered
215 Posts
40" diameter means 20" from centermto the corner. The means 7.6537" to center of the side along the inside dimension (20 * sin 22.5), so you need 15.3073" (round that as you see fit) along the inside dimension of each side.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
del schisler said:
you say 40 inches in diameter is that round ? fitting into a octagon frame 8 sideed ? just wondering
No, it's kind of a snowflake design.... I thought it would look better than in a square frame....

·
Registered
81 Posts
use the inside length

The length of each piece would be measured by the inside. Example you said that you have a snowflake so you have to decide how much reveal (the area that the snowflake will be cleared by) you want on the edge. Put an line across it ( use a straw or stick) and another line at 90 degrees. Then two more lines splitting the quadrants you just made. You now have a * like design on top of your snowflake. Measure between two of the points to get your inside length of the octagon. Cut one angle on you board you are going to use and then measure what will be the inside of the octagon side. Then cut the other angle and you have your first board. I know this sound confusing but should work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts