Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.thatdailydeal.com has an ocsillating tool kit for $40. They don't have the manufacturer listed. Does anyone recognize the brand and think this is a decent deal? I've been interested in one of these for a while. What I've read about them is that they don't seem all that useful until you get one, and then you find a million uses. It includes a straight cutter, round cutter, and sanding pad. Thoughts?

·
John
3,028 Posts
www.thatdailydeal.com has an ocsillating tool kit for $40. They don't have the manufacturer listed. Does anyone recognize the brand and think this is a decent deal? I've been interested in one of these for a while. What I've read about them is that they don't seem all that useful until you get one, and then you find a million uses. It includes a straight cutter, round cutter, and sanding pad. Thoughts?
I don't think it's been marked down a lot. Harbor Freight has had that price on it for months:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ble-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html

That said, it's not a bad tool for the $$. I don't have that one but it gets pretty favorable reviews and I find I use the oscillating tool a lot more than I had expected.:smile:

Reactions: nblasa

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the harbor freight one myself. It works fine. Sometimes on sales and coupons you can get it even cheaper than that. But it only has 1 speed setting, not that I think you need more. , but that's just me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, but the one listed is said specifically not to be the Harbor Freight one...though the brand name is not included. As far as color scheme, it looks similar to a WEN (maybe).

·
John
3,028 Posts
figured it out...Westward. Retails at $102. Decent brand?
Never heard of 'em. All things being equal, I would go with the Harbor Freight model. If nothing else, HF does have an excellent customer service reputation and you could probably get a two year or so replacement plan for cheap to go with it. JMHO:smile:

Reactions: nblasa

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the harbor freight one myself. It works fine. Sometimes on sales and coupons you can get it even cheaper than that. But it only has 1 speed setting, not that I think you need more. , but that's just me.
I needed one for a project a year ago and bought the one from HF. It's been an excellent tool for cutting pvc, wood, chipping concrete, etc. I have been pleasantly surprised with this tool.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and purchased the Westward. It looked like it and the HF were priced the same, but it had an extra cutter included and variable speed (which I realize I may not ever use). Actually RBK123's comment "Not much to them; just a handle and a motor unless they have different speed settings." sent me in that direction. If it breaks on me, I'll happily come back and eat a little crow...I've gotten a taste for it over the years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts