Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in northing CA. You can call around to commercial suppliers and see if they have a delivery route in your area. You probably won't buy enough for them to deliver too you. But.... if there is a cabinet shop in your area they deliver too they will tag your order on the load. All you have to do is meet the driver with a truck and you'll get your wood at minimal effort. Or if there is a cabinet shop in the area they might let you order through them for little or no charge.

I worked at a small shop that did this. We used Higgins Lumber - I know they are in northern CA. They have yards in Sacramento and Livermore but not sure how far south they go. I know a guy the ran a shop in the foothills 3 hours away from the nearest Higgins yard and he was on the regular delivery route.

This is a great way to get the basics - maple - poplar - cherry - walnut and plywood stock. You do need to order a little extra cause you won't be picking through the pile to get exactly optimized widths. Like all commercial hardwood suppliers they will send you random width with a minimum length for the number of board feet you order. And like all commercial suppliers they are 8-5 operation so you'll have to flex your work hours.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.