Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning woodworker that is having issues with locating quality products to work with. I'm located in an area that doesn't have a large box-type store close. By close, I mean within sixty miles. The local yards here are limited in both selection and quality.

My question is what other choices do I have to shop for and obtain good quality lumber to work with? It seems to me that treking down the hill to a larger store still doesn't ensure that I'll find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Where are you located ? Some of the members here are also lumber suppliers, or at least may know someone close to you. I buy all my hardware and most of my finishes online. I am like you, it is a good drive to the "big box"...shipping cost is less with the price of gas and the selection online is greater. Wood is another story, hard to buy anywhere but locally (well affordable lumber).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I found several links browsing through the site here already. I'm in Twenty Nine Palms, CA, so the drive down the hill to Palm Springs is a day outing, and with no way of ensuring that I'll find what I'm looking for when I get there. Even with shipping costs, buying on-line or through the mail seems to be the best way to go. Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in northing CA. You can call around to commercial suppliers and see if they have a delivery route in your area. You probably won't buy enough for them to deliver too you. But.... if there is a cabinet shop in your area they deliver too they will tag your order on the load. All you have to do is meet the driver with a truck and you'll get your wood at minimal effort. Or if there is a cabinet shop in the area they might let you order through them for little or no charge.

I worked at a small shop that did this. We used Higgins Lumber - I know they are in northern CA. They have yards in Sacramento and Livermore but not sure how far south they go. I know a guy the ran a shop in the foothills 3 hours away from the nearest Higgins yard and he was on the regular delivery route.

This is a great way to get the basics - maple - poplar - cherry - walnut and plywood stock. You do need to order a little extra cause you won't be picking through the pile to get exactly optimized widths. Like all commercial hardwood suppliers they will send you random width with a minimum length for the number of board feet you order. And like all commercial suppliers they are 8-5 operation so you'll have to flex your work hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in So Cal. Check out Reel Lumber. They have an office in Riverside so it would be an Hour or 2 drive. I have been to the Anaheim office and had a lot of selection. Its been a bit since I have been there I usually go to Austin hardwoods in Santa Ana, so that is quite a bit farther for you.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts