Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old Rockwell Delta series# 34-338 serial# FL-5705 table saw and the gear segment (part # 422-03-051-0002) that operates the bevel has some broken teeth on it. I have found out that this part is obsolete and I cannot find a used one. I don't really know where to look so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
I bought an old Rockwell Delta series# 34-338 serial# FL-5705 table saw and the gear segment (part # 422-03-051-0002) that operates the bevel has some broken teeth on it. I have found out that this part is obsolete and I cannot find a used one. I don't really know where to look so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the club.

With Delta it could have been a pretty new saw and the parts be obsolete. They have all but quit selling parts for the equipment they sell. Sometimes with old machinery you just have to fabricate the parts. We have a member here that buys a bunch of antique machinery and fully restores it. He must keep the town machinist very busy. I buy old machinery myself and have had to start buying metal working tools to maintain them. I have a welder, metal cutting bandsaw and a metal lathe. Still there is some parts I have to have made. It appears the part you need someone would have to have a metal shaper to cut the teeth on it.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
Is the part made out of steel? If so you might get someone that was good with a welder build up some metal across where the missing teeth are. Then re-shape the teeth back on with a thin cut off wheel on a grinder. Another option would be to make a jig to hold the part and use a radial arm saw with a metal cutting wheel on it to reshape the teeth.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If the flat part with the teeth comes off separately, you might be able to have one reproduced at a shop with a water jet pretty quickly, but the cost to have one made may outpace the value of the saw pretty quickly.

Another thought...possible to find another saw used to use for parts??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I think my options are to scrap the saw and find another or have the piece machined new. this one is cast so I short of brazing to build up the cogs which would make quite a mess I don't know how the old one can be fixed. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
If it's cast it's always a gamble to weld on it. The metal is fickled. You could have two identical parts from that model saw and one could weld easily and the other could break in two from being heated. To have the best luck with it you have to heat the metal, weld on it and then put it in an oven and gradually lower the temperature. If you have the means of electric welding it would go better to build up the metal with nickle rods. It's a harder metal than brass and would hold up better.

·
where's my table saw?
29,614 Posts
some good advice, mostly speculation

Take the part to a machine shop and ask them if they can repair it and how much it will cost.... Ask them if that's not possible, how much to make a new one. In either instance you will have hard and fast info, no speculation.

Brazing is an option which I used on a broken cast iron part and it worked wonderfully. Brazing is a low temperature solution, in which rather than melting the parent metal you add a filler metal which melts at a lower temperature. A machinist will know if that is a viable solution.

·
Registered
653 Posts
As Woodnthings mentioned brazing is an option. They fill the area with braze and machine new teeth. I have also seen where machine screws are inserted where the teeth were and then filed to fit. You may even find that this work can be done at a welding shop. As far as the brazing goes anyway. Yes, I also think a picture would be helpful.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same table saw and the exact same problem. The teeth at the end of the gear segment have been shaved off. I've also looked high and low for a new/used part to no avail.

If you have any luck with a solution, please post it here.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts