Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, this is my first time posting. I have been working on an 80 year old oak wardrobe. After staining with 3 coats of minwax oilbased stain, I have put on two coats of minwax antique oil finish. I figure that twp coats are enough, i actually liked the finish after one coat but, this second coat makes the piece a bit glossier than i would actually like. I want to take a little of the sheen off. What will happen if i use 600 sandpaper now, at the end...what would mineral spirits do...what can i do now to take a little of the shine off and complete the piece. Thanks...i am relatively new to wopd finishing but have done a few pieces. Thank you.

·
Registered
27,000 Posts
Actually there is not a great deal of difference between the minwax stain and the antique oil finish. With the repeated coats you just built up enough linseed oil to give it a thin film finish. To dull the finish you might try the mineral spirits but it's probably too dry for that. If that doesn't work you might try rubbing it down with 0000 steel wool or an automotive scotch brite pad to cut the shine. These would likely make it a little grey in color. You could bring the color back with a little lemon oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts