Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recieving large wood from a tree company for splitting and burning durning the winter months. Recently, they dropped off a piece of oak that was about four feet in diameter and eight feet long. My thought was to cut discs out of it and make a small table with it. I cut a three inch thick piece and sanded it down till smooth and stained it. I do know enough about wood to know that once it starts to dry it will split. The piece has been sitting inside for a few weeks and is already begining to split. How do I prevent this from happening? I heard that I needed to soak it in PEG. Also, for the base I was going to use a piece of cherry, or so i thought it was cherry. It was red on the outside but as I started to cut it to size with a chainsaw the shaving were bright yellow. What kind of wood is this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Others with more experience may chime in, however, given the size and the fact that it is the whole trunk, there is going to be shrinkage and cracking and I don't think you can prevent it. Best you can do is fill it with epoxy after it happens. Being such a large item, you may require the aid of a kiln dryer, slice it into sections then get it to the dryer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts