Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this be Red Oak or White? This is from the Interlake in Manitoba, Canada. I want to hand render this into short boards about 15". Would I be able to make small boxes with this? The boards are about 1" thick.

image-2007770033.jpg

image-1066553859.jpg

image-1660174350.jpg

image-2093812452.jpg

image-1170688800.jpg

image-1030130522.jpg

image-3259077205.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
It doesn't look like either the red or white oak I'm use to, but the oak family is big.

Reactions: Bluefilosoff

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
So again....impressive work for all by hand. I'm on the fence...I can see white oak there....but it still looks of to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To clarify I initially used hand saws but switched to a reciprocating saw to split and rough cut to small boards. I then hand planed one side to flat and then ran them through a thickness planer and trimmed the edges and ends on my table saw. The wood is hard and heavy, dulled the saw blades quite quickly. I must say I would still love to do everything by hand but can't find a hand rip saw anywhere in these parts. Maybe I can find one for sale online.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
To clarify I initially used hand saws but switched to a reciprocating saw to split and rough cut to small boards. I then hand planed one side to flat and then ran them through a thickness planer and trimmed the edges and ends on my table saw. The wood is hard and heavy, dulled the saw blades quite quickly. I must say I would still love to do everything by hand but can't find a hand rip saw anywhere in these parts. Maybe I can find one for sale online.
I'll agree with Phinds... Mainly because every time I disagree on a species he proves me wrong :yes::no::yes::smile::laughing:

If you jump over to the hand tools section and see my thread there about batch ordering some saws - maybe you would be interested in one of those. For ripping that caliber of work though you would be better off with a frame saw.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
firemedic said:
I'll agree with Phinds... Mainly because every time I disagree on a species he proves me wrong :yes::no::yes::smile::laughing:

If you jump over to the hand tools section and see my thread there about batch ordering some saws - maybe you would be interested in one of those. For ripping that caliber of work though you would be better off with a frame saw.
Thanks very much for this, I appreciate the advice and assistance!

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,381 Posts
For my view in the South, the bark doesn't match any oaks we have...it's closer to a locust or a sassafras (deep and thick)...but the wood doesn't match sas and ??? on the locust, I haven't cut any but by chainsaw into firewood and it's hades on blades. The wood shown does favor the white oak family when qtr sawn. According to the photos and your stated thickness that's a lot of growth rings per inch...any history on this chunk??? it favors a tree grown under a heavy crown and it had to fight for light...good for quality, bad for producing size in diameter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
oak color

in my area, there are several varieties of oak, both red and white. Generally speaking the reds have a deeper grained bark and the lobes on their leaves are pointed as compared to the white oaks which have a smoother bark surface and the lobes on the leaves are rounded. The color of the wood can be influenced by the soil type and minerals. Red oaks also absorb more water because of the cell structure. Thus red oak is used for furniture abd white oak is used in boats. What you have looks like red,to me, but I would find a local arborist to find out for sure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
possibly chinkapin,sweet oak or swamp oak ? members of the white oak family. I see a lot of it up around lake erie,nrthern ohio

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
but the reason I even came back to the thread was to ask Phinds if he thought it might be Locust
The rays. LOOK AT THE RAYS (well, the flakes, actually).

Neither honey locust nor black locust (two totally unrelated species) have flakes.

It's OAK DAMMIT :furious:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts