Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished these about a week ago. They were for a client I've honestly been trying to dodge, I made a bed for her ages ago and she's been on at me for these ever since. Normally I'd be happy with any order but she's one of those that "price is no problem" until delivery, then she feels it's time to haggle. With her I now increase my usual price since I know she's going to want something off at the end.

Took about a day to make and then hand painted matt poly finish the next day. Normally I wait a few days before a quick polish but not this time, by the late afternoon they felt dry enough so some soapy water and 1500g wet paper was used, followed by a wax paste. Very quick and easy :) Considering the effort I put in, I was pretty pleased.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Normally I'd be happy with any order but she's one of those that "price is no problem" until delivery, then she feels it's time to haggle.
If she is a client, and you sold this furniture for a certain price, you would have a contract of some sort that the client would sign...no haggling on delivery.

Normally I wait a few days before a quick polish but not this time, by the late afternoon they felt dry enough so some soapy water and 1500g wet paper was used, followed by a wax paste.
Cabinets do look nice. Using a wax finish precludes doing any further finish other than wax, without a lot of hassle. Of course, the client can do the periodic waxing that will be necessary.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,613 Posts
Very nice work. I really hate it when people think that your time and effort are worth nothing. The price is the price. Good luck with this client and keep up the good work.
Maybe cash in advance is the way to go with her from now on.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Very nice work. I really hate it when people think that your time and effort are worth nothing. The price is the price. Good luck with this client and keep up the good work.
Maybe cash in advance is the way to go with her from now on.
I agree. I would have straightened out her attitude on the last job. Ask her if she would appreciate someone doing this to her.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as she drives me to drink sometimes, she's as a loyal a client as one can be, I've picked up loads of work thanks to her recommendations and referrals. Even with a fixed price and quote, nothing stops her from haggling, she's determined to get something off - I'm convinced it's her favorite part.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Old plumber told me this 35 years ago.......I've used it once or twice.

True story.....My plumber friend hands a guy the bill,and its recieved with a little,how you say?Intrepidation.....the customer was balking.My plumber calmly goes,"well mr Jones let me go out and check the paperwork"

He goes out to truck and smokes a cig and comes back in:

"Mr Jones,I am so glad you questioned the bill.....after going over the paperwork I found that the XYZ valve was left off the bill.So it'll be an extra 49.95 to what I said before".Mr jones rushes to get checkbook.

There are some customers that just always go about these things in their "sort of way".Agree with others......try to get everything as clear as possible...written,dated,initialed.BW

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Nice work on the tables, they turned out awesome. Nice work handling a funky client too. You are just doing what every other store does, mark up price and then call it a sale or let you get some leeway and feel like you won. Have her referals tried it though? That would be my worry, because someone as proud of their haggling "skills" is no doubt bragging about them to the referals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that plumbing story, I'm going to try it out next time.

As for her referrals, nope, she is the only one that haggles. As I mentioned, I'm convinced it's her favorite part of the deal lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts