Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a ton of Pallets. I want to use them for a table. The Pallets were never treated. What would be the best thing to use to make sure there are no bugs in the wood? Also what should be set to seal it?

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
If you don't see any evidence of bugs in it I would assume there were none. Look for wood dust where the pallets are sitting to see if there is any critters in it. The only thing I would really be worried about is if wood is seasoned or not. They are not likely to kiln dry wood to use for pallets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you mean. I can tell that there are some beer looking ones. However there are some that look more weathered. Sorta grey. Is there a type of treatment I could use to season them?

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I can tell that there are some beer looking ones. However there are some that look more weathered. Sorta grey. Is there a type of treatment I could use to season them?
When they cut wood out of a tree for lumber they run it through a dry kiln to dry the wood. When they cut wood for pallets they are not as fussy with the wood. They just stack it up and let it air dry. Depending on how old the wood is it may not be dry enough to build projects out of. The wood could twist and warp or even crack if it continues to dry further. You would have to have a moisture content meter to really be sure the wood was dry enough to use for projects. If you live in a humid climate the wood should dry to at least 12%. It should be drier in aired climates.

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
If it is not dry enough hw would I go about getting the moisture content lower?
Stack the wood up in a dry place with 3/4"x3/4" sticks between the layers of wood so air can circulate through it. A hot dry place like your attic would be good, just don't put so much up there you overload your framing. I never have liked air dried wood. I bought some red oak 4/4 wood and kept it for three years in the attic of my parents garage and it never did dry enough to use. I finally moved away from home and forgot the wood. Now 40 years later I know it's dry but I never knew when it became usable.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The negatives associated with pallet wood are:

o the pallet wood is not dried at all

o the boards shrink as they dry which causes the nails used for assembly to rust and to become much more difficult to remove

o it's cheap, low grade wood of questionable species

o it's generally dirty with grit embedded in the surface. This makes it risky to run through a jointer or planer. It can also quickly dull any hand tools.

That said, I've seen some pretty nice things built with pallet wood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts