Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

More questions from this rookie...

I've already sanded and restained/sealed the original oak hardwood floors in my 1953 bungalow. Just tore up the carpet in another room and found what appears to be a water stain of some kind in the corner (see pics). The boards feel and sound solid in the area, but the gaps between the boards is now a little wider than the rest of the room where the water stain is. I am assuming that whatever was spilled on the floor here caused the boards to shrink just a little. Anyways, what is the "easy way" to deal with this? I am not looking to cut out and replace these boards as they still seem solid and not rotted, and I dont mind a little discoloration (I think it adds character) but the gaps bother me. Also, there are about a million little holes from staples I pulled up. Is there some sort of product that is like a liquid wood filler that I can spread over the floor before sanding it down to solve both of these problems? Any outside the box ideas are welcome!

Thanks for all the help gents!

Attachments

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
If it were me I would leave it along and go ahead and refinish it. Any hard putty you put in it won't stay and might damage the floor finish when it comes out making a worse looking spot. After you are completely done and the spot still bothers you, you might use a soft putty like Minwax Filler. You can just rub it in with your thumb and buff off the excess with a dry cloth. In the even there was further wood movement and it pushed it out it would be a easy fix to fill it again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts