Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've built a blanket chest out of mostly oak I milled in Southern Indiana. I'm pretty sure that the tree was a black oak which is technically a red oak. On this project I had to use some store bought red oak too. So the shades of color are differant in the glued up boards. Some lighter and some more red, really even the wood I milled there are color variations. I like natural looking finishes like antique oil finish, I like that its easy to use. Would you guys try to make the color of the wood more uniform or just apply the oil? I'm looking for finishing opinions here. This chest is for my house so its not like I have a customer to please but people will see it so I want to finish it off right. Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I've built a blanket chest out of mostly oak I milled in Southern Indiana. I'm pretty sure that the tree was a black oak which is technically a red oak. On this project I had to use some store bought red oak too. So the shades of color are differant in the glued up boards. Some lighter and some more red, really even the wood I milled there are color variations. I like natural looking finishes like antique oil finish, I like that its easy to use. Would you guys try to make the color of the wood more uniform or just apply the oil? I'm looking for finishing opinions here. This chest is for my house so its not like I have a customer to please but people will see it so I want to finish it off right. Thanks for the opinions.
Personally i would bleach it first, not with 2 part bleach but with potassium permanganate and sodium hypochlorite [photo hypo solution]. Then i would apply a walnut crystal dye and let dry and then your antique oil finish if that's what you prefer. if you need more info on the steps just pm me ok?

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I would get a close match with using alcohol based aniline dyes. Using sample pieces, you can vary the intensity with different colors to bring the woods closer in appearance, before topcoating.

I would take the samples out to the topcoat, as that will likely change their looks. If it does, that may give you some parameters of what to change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts