Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year,
I built my wife an red oak blanket box and made the mistake of staining and varathaning the inside. Even after letting the inside air out for days, the blankets & sheets smell when they have been in there for a week or more. I really do not want to strip & sand the inside so can any one suggest something I can do to solve this problem.....thank you.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Have you considered lining the inside with cedar. I've made cedar chests out of oak then lined the inside with cedar tongue and groove about 1/4" thick I bought at the home center.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The finish probably isn't cured yet. There is a difference between dry and cured. I would open the lid and let it sit, unoccupied for another few weeks.
If, when you put your nose right up to the finish and can't smell a thing, you should be safe.
I would get a few blocks of aromatic cedar and toss in with the blankets after it's cured. Great aroma and will help keep the bugs out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the speedy replies

Hello,
Many thanks for all of the suggestions and I appreciate the quick response. I will air the blanket box out for a couple more weeks and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will try some of the other suggestions that were recommended.
It is very nice to find a woodworking forum where the members are so experienced and ready to help out others with their problems. Thank You.

·
Journeyman Wood Butcher
792 Posts
I think I would try a couple small packets of silica crystals to see if they might absord odor. They're meant to absorb moisture in packing, right? Is a molecule of of polyurethane capable of being absorbed? Because that's what you get when you smell something---small molecules of that thing being inhaled.....

like, for instance, right now I'm inhaling a chuck roast with horseradish and whole carrots....

regards,
smitty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts