Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in my father-in-laws shop today, and was going through some of his older issues of Wood Magazine. I swear I saw one that said something about drying a green bowl in the microwave. I didnt get a chance to read the artical, but was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this, and or tried it.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I have done it. You can't just stick it in there for 5 minutes and walk away though. 30-45 second on, then take it out to cool for 5 minutes. Repeated several times. It takes some practice and different woods and different wall thicknesses react differently. Some dry nicely...some just blow up :huh:.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bad experience has taught me NOT to dry walnut in Jill's microwave.

"Why does my popcorn taste funny?" and "What's that smell?"

That leads to Jill getting a new microwave

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,372 Posts
"Why does my popcorn taste funny?"
Could save a lot on the expense of butter if you just sprinkled sawdust on the popcorn. :laughing:

In a nutshell, drying in the microwave doesn't sound like a good idea, unless you have an old one that you don't care about.
Ken

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I agree with all the above. Use an old microwave. I have done this setting the power level at 50% for five minutes at a time. The piece gets pretty warm. Let it cool for 20-30 minutes in between. I weigh mine on a digital postal scale each time and record the weight changes. When it stops losing weight, you're done.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Registered
624 Posts
not to hijack this thread but the same rules apply to melting dutch cholocate [solid]

heat for 12 secs, take out stir a bit, heat again for say 15 secs. stir set again for 15 secs stir then set again for 5-7 secs and stir and you got melt chocolate, no lumps means no water was in it...

this is a quickie way to dip strawberries nuts whatever and cool those in the freezebox

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,372 Posts
not to hijack this thread but the same rules apply to melting dutch cholocate [solid]

heat for 12 secs, take out stir a bit, heat again for say 15 secs. stir set again for 15 secs stir then set again for 5-7 secs and stir and you got melt chocolate, no lumps means no water was in it...

this is a quickie way to dip strawberries nuts whatever and cool those in the freezebox

your first name wouldn't happen to be Martha would it? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
624 Posts
kenbo

I do know a Martha in real life but I'm a chef so it was a cheap comparison of chocolate to whatever else someone is trying to semi melt or bend an item in microwave

hohoho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts