Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am a novice woodworker and I recently purchased a craftsman jigsaw that got great reviews. I am using it to cut 3/4" mdf as I am trying to make radiator covers. I marked out my first cut, clamped a straightedge to the mdf so I could make a straight cut and began to cut using a woodcutting blade and a high speed setting. About six inches into the cut the blade started bending to the left and my cut went very crooked. I've since tried every possible combo of speed and blade action settings on test pieces and can't get it to cut a straight or perpendicular line. I've used jigsaws before and never had this problem. Could it be a cheap blade, bad jigsaw, cutting problems with mdf, or just my stupidity? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Nobody
1,237 Posts
MDF is hard to cut anyway.

If the blade and base are not perfect the fence
board will just make it worse.

You really need a power hand saw and a good blade
to get good straight cuts on the stuff.

A table saw and a helper are the best way to go.

If they always go to the same side, I am sure it
is a blade alignment problem, but I don't know
how to correct it.

If all else fails, you could do it with a hand saw.

·
Banned
496 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Craftsman jigsaw you mentioned, which ever one you have, since your not real specific on the model. I have a Bosch 1591EVSK jigsaw. You may want to try some Bosch blades, from what I understand, they are the best. I guess I don't understand what cuts your atempting to make, you don't describe that well either. Are you trying to cut everything with the jigsaw ? or just openings in the panels for screen type material ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. As I said I am a newbie so I don't have much in the way of tools (a table saw hopefully is in my near future), but I'm working on it. I'm going to try borrowing my father-in-laws circular saw, I figure that will get me a straighter cut. Also, thanks for the advice on the Bosch blades. I think I will go buy some as I'm gonna need blades anyway. Now that I have some scrap mdf (lol) I can see if they give me a better cut than the ones that came with the saw.

·
Registered
551 Posts
They make longer blades for the jigsaw that are normally a little wider, like 3/4" versus 1/4" of a normal blade. It might work but as was suggested, a circular saw or table saw works best. I'm sure you aren't the problem. MDF is from the devil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bradnailer, that's good to know. I was a little concerned and was starting to think "if I can't even cut a straight line, maybe woodworking isn't the hobby for me."....lol

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
Gotcha, project, few tools...

If I read what you are doing correctly, you are trying to crosscut / rip 3/4" MDF. Honestly a jig saw is not the right tool for the job. At the least, a circular saw, with a fine tooth blade, and a good dust mask are called for. Make sure that you cut this in a well ventilated area as MDF produces a LOT of dust, kind of like cutting Hardi Plank...

IF you are going to be in the market for a table saw, read the posts here on teh subject, there are a lot of good saws out there, and there is some real junk on the market too. And you might be suprised by which ones are the good ones!

·
Senior Member KE4TQP
570 Posts
Cut your losses and get the circular saw.

Clamp two boards and put the saw in the middle. Heck even I can gut a straight line with that setup. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Another problem with them new fangled jig saws is the bayonette type blade mounting. They don't hold the blade as securely as the old timey ones that had a set screw.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Another problem with them new fangled jig saws is the bayonette type blade mounting. They don't hold the blade as securely as the old timey ones that had a set screw.
Before I bought the Bosch I had a old Craftsman with the locking knob scroll feature, every once in awhile I would have to retighten the set screw for the blade. I haven't tried the Bosch yet, it uses the bayonet style blades, I hope your wrong Brad. The Bosch gets such great reviews.

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Chuck: I have been using my Bosch for 20 yrs. It has the hollow shank with setscrew inside, comes with loooong skinny screwdriver, I havent had a blade come loose yet becasue of the setscrew. If it gets loose the problem was the guy on the end of the screwdriver:yes::shifty:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, just thought I'd update you. I borrowed my father-in-law's circular saw and with a straight edge I'm able to get perfect straight cuts.
Also, woodchuck1957, thanks for the advice on the blades. I went out and bought some Bosch blades and my jigsaw now does cut perfect straight lines, even in the 3/4" mdf I was using. What a difference in the cut. I guess the blades that come with Craftsman jigsaws are really cheap pieces of you know what. Anyway, the project is going well, still have some work to do, but thanks all of you for your advice.

·
novice woodworker
25 Posts
Saw in your post were in the market for a table saw

jpeccerillo - I saw in your post that you were in the market for a table saw. Stay away from the Sears Table Saw. I bought it, hated it and returned it after using it for six months (and they took it back!).

Basically the $200 dollar saw is a $100 with a $100 worth of not very useful features.

Do yourself a favor, save up your money, watch craigslist and get a better quality saw then that. While i was saving and watching CL I found a few saws that looked good. I posted the link here and got peoples reactions.

In the end I never found the right saw and ended up buying a floor model at a Rockler store for about 10% off.

Good Luck,
Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Lobos,
Thanks for the info. My in-laws are actually getting me a table saw. My wife's grandfather passed earlier this year and he was a master craftsman. They were going to bring me back his old table saw from Chicago. I have no idea what brand or model it is but for free I can't complain. Besides, his tools were always immaculate and he did great work for decades with them so whatever it is I'm sure it's just fine for me. However, I'll keep your reply in mind if I ever do need to buy another one.
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts