Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A_shop_and_a_Vette
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a lathe and want to learn woodturning. Probably just simple stuff like spindles at first and maybe some pens. The lathe has a 37 inch capacity. Looking for any advice or tips for a novice. Maybe some good book titles for the beginner. Would appreciate any comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'll find lots of good information in the form of articles and project "how-to's" here:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/

It's a great resource for folks just getting started.

Quite a few other good resources are listed on my "Links" page. Check the section titled "Woodturning/Woodworking - Forums and Resources".

Have fun!

Neal

p.s. - BTW, you mentioned a "37 inch capacity". Did you buy one of the new Rikons? They look like very good lathes judging by the specs. Let us know what you think.

·
Splinter Cushion
661 Posts
My advice is get out there and make big pieces of wood into small pieces of wood.

Use cheap wood and get the feel of how the tools work. Check Youtube for wood turning videos, read these forums and others about turning safety.

The biggest thing that I have learned so far is- don't say, "I'm just gonna make pens!" or "I'm just gonna make bowls!" Try different things as you go and see what you like.

Be safe, be creative, and have fun! :D

·
A_shop_and_a_Vette
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll find lots of good information in the form of articles and project "how-to's" here:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/

It's a great resource for folks just getting started.

Quite a few other good resources are listed on my "Links" page. Check the section titled "Woodturning/Woodworking - Forums and Resources".

Have fun!

Neal

p.s. - BTW, you mentioned a "37 inch capacity". Did you buy one of the new Rikons? They look like very good lathes judging by the specs. Let us know what you think.

I'll check out the links! Thanks! No, it's not a Rikon. It's an older Craftsman lathe but seems to be in great shape. It also came with a Craftsman Copy Crafter!

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Xphnmn, join a local wood turning club, you will learn and improve your skills faster. some of the U-tube videos are actually how not to turn so be careful.

·
Registered
623 Posts
What kind of lathe did you get?Any Pics? I would make a few pens.It will not take but 1 or 2 to have you hooked.Mine sell as fast as I make them.I've got alot of orders that I need to have done by x-mas.It will be a busy weekend looks like.
Donny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts