Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, names Benji and I'm from England, 21 years old, and made an account today so I could get some advice on my first woodworking project (you can see it in the project showcase forum). I'm about as clueless as you could really get at the mo, but always loved the idea of creating things from wood. Any tips on places to start/ books to read/ things to not do would be greatly appreciated :nerd2:

cheers

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome Benji. As Johnep said YouTube is a great resource. Used woodworking books and mags are helpful too. And of course tune in to this forum for friendly advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Benji,

Youtube is great but also try woodmagazine.com. I think their website is well-structured, easy to explore and offers plenty of tips for beginners as well as pros. Plenty of how-to's and a nice site to brush up on some lingo so you don't go to Home Depot clueless. I've learned a lot of stuff here. And if you're a wood species nerd like I am, they have an article for just about every prominent wood species on the market.

P.S.- As the name suggests, their magazine is kinda cool too!

Hope this helps!

-Clayton

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome Benji! I'd have to agree concerning YouTube. That's where I learned how to make cutting boards and haven't looked back!

·
Registered
26,340 Posts
Hi all, names Benji and I'm from England, 21 years old, and made an account today so I could get some advice on my first woodworking project (you can see it in the project showcase forum). I'm about as clueless as you could really get at the mo, but always loved the idea of creating things from wood. Any tips on places to start/ books to read/ things to not do would be greatly appreciated :nerd2:

cheers
For the most part woodworking is common sense. Pick a project you wish to build and look at the individual parts in that project instead of the whole. Where you will probably need help is learning what tools you will need to make those parts. Like any of us starting out in any trade you will lack all or most of the tools needed. Instead of going out and buying tools at random I've always let what ever project I was working on determine what tools I buy. Anyway feel free to ask us all the questions you wish. We are glad to help you any way possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts