Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm relatively new to woodworking (approx. 2 years) and so far have been able to find all my needed wood at Home Depot, Lowes and mail order. However, I've recently decided to make a canopy bed (like this one: http://bit.ly/dz4JbL) and am having huge difficulties finding the appropriate wood for the posts.

Ideally I would want to use 4" x 4" x 7' solid posts (5" x 5" or 6" x 6" would be fine too.) I'm pretty open to the actual type of wood. All I seem able to find is stock for fence posts... not exactly what I'd want to use for an elegant bed :thumbdown:

Is this even feasible? Where and what should I be looking for to get this type of wood?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thx,
Michael L.

P.S. Is there any woodworking software out there other than SketchIt? I've bypassed SketchIt and have been using 3ds Max, however I'd really like to have something more focused on woodworking.

·
Journeyman Wood Butcher
792 Posts
Yes, what Cabinetman said....skip the box stores that sell to Junior League wives and college kids....go to a real hardwood supplier.

And short of finding something solid in the dimensions you quoted, which would be rabidly expensive, consider bying several 4/4 pieces and laminating your own posts. I've done this on four bed projects now, not 7' tall but the principal is the same.

You can rip to 1/4" over the finished width and stack and glue and clamp to 1/4" over the finished thickness, then plane to finished dimension all sides.

I think you'd be more satisfied, and have a straighter, more true post that way. IMHO.

smitty

·
The village amadán.
789 Posts
Smitty is wise on this one! Several 4/4 boards laminated and then planed to size make for one stout hunk of bed post and if you plan to paint it, you'll never know they are laminated!

As for drawing out your plans, I have always just used pen and paper so I cannot help with the program either.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Deltacad is a 2D drafting software that acts as an electronic drafting table.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as the CAD software, I use Turbocad. If you have basics for using CAD you will like this one. I use it to do all of my desin work. If you need help or more info don't hesitate to contact me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts