Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a Nova 1 #145899 chuck for the Lathe and it said it was a 50 mm standard chuck,around 2".so is that the maximum o.d. it will hold and if so what is the min dia. of the stock it will hold??Itchy

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not sure which chuck you ordered,but I have the G2 and have 4" jaws on it and have turned several 16" plus bowls on it.But I also have a smaller Nova with the 2" jaws on it and have turned up to 16" pieces with it and never had one come loose.(but not recomended) you can put the 4" jaws on the smaller chuck that uses the tommy bars though if you want.It worked for me untill I got the G2. then I put them on it,I have four of the nova chucks and love em.

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
That's closed. Totally closed mine is about 1 11/16" so 2' would be about the smallest you would want to go. It fully opens up to 2 1/2" I.D. Don't forget you can use a chuck in expansion mode also.

BTW, all this talk about chucks and you haven't even asked about cutting tools yet. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother gave me a set of inexpensive cutting tools,but I'll get better ones when these frustrate me.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Itchy,
Those inexpensive tools will probably do fine for now, as long as they are kept sharp. I still use my cheapies on a regular basis, along with some more expensive ones mixed in. BTW, the last pm you sent me got deleted accidentally. Send me another.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts