Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. Have enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a few things. I am in the market for a new lathe and I am probably gonna get the Nova. My question is what is the spindle height of this lathe? I am 6'5" and just wondering if I will have to raise it up to a comfortable height for me. Thanks for any input you can give

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
New to the site. Have enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a few things. I am in the market for a new lathe and I am probably gonna get the Nova. My question is what is the spindle height of this lathe? I am 6'5" and just wondering if I will have to raise it up to a comfortable height for me. Thanks for any input you can give
Welcome!

My 1624-44 spindle is at 42 inches, there might be another inch or so on the adjustable feet.

HTH

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have a Nova 3000, which is the predecessor to the 16-24, and shares a lot of the same details. If you get one with the factory leg set, the leg set if 31.5" tall, same as my 3000 leg set. That puts the spindle on mine at 43.5" off the floor (I'm sure that's close to a 1624). I can tell you I bought mine from a fellow that was 6'+, and it was a little short for him. He had a pair of blocks made to lift it up and provide casters (with locking feet). I had to remove them, and the lathe is still a little tall for me (I'm 5-7). It's easier to raise it up than to make it shorter though. :furious:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. Also, did you add any weight to the lathe stand? If so, how?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave. I also just posted there too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Dave. I may try the angle iron but use bolts thru the legs instead of screws. They may hold better than screws.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm getting close to ordering in the cast iron legs for my DVR XP , (the cabinet bench the lathe is on at present is better off serving as a worktop ) .
I'm figuring on putting a shelf type base about halfway up the legs , with an downward opening trapdoor in its centre , closing in the four sides , capping it off with a lid a few inches below the bed ,
that may have hatch or two in it , and filling it up with dry sand.

Whether or not the idea comes to fruition is anybody's guess :laughing:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thanks again Dave. I may try the angle iron but use bolts thru the legs instead of screws. They may hold better than screws.
I wrote that that thread and chose not to use bolts b/c I didn't want to affect the integrity of the legs. I've got 200 lbs on the shelf--used screws--NO problems. And I do more than occasionally turn out of round blanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you now that I saw an up close pic of the legs. What size screws did you use? You also said that the shelf did not get in the way of your shins. How high is the shelf off the floor? Also what is the footprint of the lathe? How large are the chunks you turn? On my old ridgid lathe I could turn pieces that were out of round that were about 10" x 4-5" without it walking.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree with you now that I saw an up close pic of the legs. What size screws did you use? You also said that the shelf did not get in the way of your shins. How high is the shelf off the floor? Also what is the footprint of the lathe? How large are the chunks you turn? On my old ridgid lathe I could turn pieces that were out of round that were about 10" x 4-5" without it walking.
I turn blanks that size and bigger, try to round'em on the bandsaw, but not always true. I start slow between centers- not wise to go fast early.
As for the height of the shelf, I just put where it "felt" right--checked where my legs were and went from that. I used self tapping screws and think I used a 3/8 drive, 1 inch or whatever it takes to make sure threads are in the leg.
I didn't go out to measure but the footprint is small compared to my other lathes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My old Ridgid lathe's "slow" speed was about 600. I never lost a piece. I thought most lathes started about that fast. Didn't worry at the time about losing any. knowing what I know now I probably would have gotten those pieces a little closer to round. Can't wait to turn on the Nova at a slower speed. I guess you learn with age.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts