Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-2565605155.jpg

image-2041952391.jpg

This blank had some nice pencil spalting, but the niceties end there. It was pinky as all get out and tear out was problematic. I wasn't in love with the shape because it looked disproportionate. I added the lines to try and break up the curves, but it missed somehow. Then the dang thing decided to jump off the lathe while I was finishing the foot. O well. It'll clean up well enough to be a gift to someone.

·
Registered
620 Posts
have never seen brown spalting like that I wonder if it is a different type of fungus that produces a similar effect or if the zone lines are just in a different phase of development OR a different reaction of the same fungus to the wood you are using?very nice looking piece either way... sometimes it's worth dealing with the punk:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nicely done, I've done some Spalted an punkie sweet gum an I know what you went throw an you did make it beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Turned out nice ETJ,
I like the brown spalting lines. Punkiness in spalted wood is about a 50-50 shot. Some woods are better than others.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I have to keep reminding myself to sharpen. Turning punky wood really helps prepare you for the good stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts