Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Woodsmith magazine. Vol. 32/No. 191

I've been a woodworker for 37 years. But until recently I paid a friend to do the finish. But it took a long time and cost a lot of cash. So i purchased a hvlp finish system and for about the past four years I've been doing the finish as well. I'm pretty satisfied with the results I get. I also realize I have plenty to learn. So I thought I would show photos of how I set things up. And some tools I use to get the finish done. I do all the woodwork and the finish in a two car garage. The garage is also used for the normal garage things like parking the car, storing bikes, lawn mower, ect. I welcome advice or criticism. Also before any of these photos I stained the red oak with min wax natural oil stain and let it dry for one week.

image-2985880735.jpg

image-113165919.jpg

image-613280633.jpg

image-3646800318.jpg

image-3200116220.jpg

I set things up in the garage on whatever I can use to get as much sprayed at one time. I used my sawhorses borrowed sawhorses and my camping box.

image-2761882591.jpg

My finish station.

image-1026242355.jpg

I spray two coats general finishes sanding sealer sanding with 320 grit after each coat. Then two coats of G. F. pre cat urethane. Sanding with 400 grit after the first coat. I use a vibrator where I can but it's mostly hand sanding. But it goes quick

quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
Looks good to me. I think the minwax natural was an unnecessary step though. I think you could achieve the same appearance with the finish alone. Try it on some scraps and see. Usually the natural is good to use when topcoating with waterborne finishes to enhance the grain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve Neul said:
Looks good to me. I think the minwax natural was an unnecessary step though. I think you could achieve the same appearance with the finish alone. Try it on some scraps and see. Usually the natural is good to use when topcoating with waterborne finishes to enhance the grain.
Thank you Steve. The product I'm using, G F sanding sealer and the pre cat urethane are waterborne topcoats. And that is exactly why I stain prior to applying the topcoat. I choose waterborne because I finish in my garage and I worry about strong odor that might bother the neighbors. Also I don't want to deal with disposing of solvents I would use to clean the equipment with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts