Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using the forum regularly for the last month and a half or so. I occasionally check out the new members and have always felt a little guilty about never doing it. It's my first forum and I guess I'm behind the times in forum edicate :laughing:.

Anyway, my name is Zach. My occupation is in the name. I'm originally from Iowa (and proud of it!), lived in Minnesota for 4 years, and have now live in Omaha, NE for about 8 months. I was recently married in South Dakota.

My woodworking head knowledge probably exceeds my hand-on knowledge because I am fairly new to it. I guess I'm just more young than new to it. I would say I've been into it for a little over a year now and am in the process of setting up shop. Mainly waiting for the weather to change so the garage is enjoyable.

So far, I love the site and improving my woodworking skills!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Been using the forum regularly for the last month and a half or so. I occasionally check out the new members and have always felt a little guilty about never doing it. It's my first forum and I guess I'm behind the times in forum edicate :laughing:.

Anyway, my name is Zach. My occupation is in the name. I'm originally from Iowa (and proud of it!), lived in Minnesota for 4 years, and have now live in Omaha, NE for about 8 months. I was recently married in South Dakota.

My woodworking head knowledge probably exceeds my hand-on knowledge because I am fairly new to it. I guess I'm just more young than new to it. I would say I've been into it for a little over a year now and am in the process of setting up shop. Mainly waiting for the weather to change so the garage is enjoyable.

So far, I love the site and improving my woodworking skills!
Weclome sir........

How is that workbench design coming along?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it designed on Sketchup, now I am just waiting on the weather. Probably April before I get going on it.

How is yours going?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Got it designed on Sketchup, now I am just waiting on the weather. Probably April before I get going on it.

How is yours going?
well......uh....er.....uh......lol......the word "going" may be a little strong.....lol.........I too am waiting for a little warmer weather to really dig in and start building but having never built anything like this before so I am not sure if a lot of what i want to do is "design sound" and waffling back and forth about what I really need and dont need.....

other than that it going great.....lol

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Zach,
Welcome to the forum. Could use a little warm weather myself. Good luck on your projects, don't forget to post some pics.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well......uh....er.....uh......lol......the word "going" may be a little strong.....lol.........I too am waiting for a little warmer weather to really dig in and start building but having never built anything like this before so I am not sure if a lot of what i want to do is "design sound" and waffling back and forth about what I really need and dont need.....

other than that it going great.....lol
I did the same thing. I had my "design" done about 5 times and then modified something. Now I just need to do it before I have to change it again :laughing:.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I did the same thing. I had my "design" done about 5 times and then modified something. Now I just need to do it before I have to change it again :laughing:.
question for ya....

I am only going to be able to have about 26 to 30 inches of actual table depth........are you installing any t-track or bench dogs?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
question for ya....

I am only going to be able to have about 26 to 30 inches of actual table depth........are you installing any t-track or bench dogs?
Yeah, mine is now at 33" deep (subject to change :laughing:) and I am going to have a front vise and tail vise with bench dogs 6" O.C. (on center) for each one. I got the Groz Hardware from Woodcraft and am just going to make my on vise with wood. I would recommend some bench dogs - it's just another clamp in your shop!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yeah, mine is now at 33" deep (subject to change :laughing:) and I am going to have a front vise and tail vise with bench dogs 6" O.C. (on center) for each one. I got the Groz Hardware from Woodcraft and am just going to make my on vise with wood. I would recommend some bench dogs - it's just another clamp in your shop!
got it........yeah i am green enough yet to not even really know any better about vises and bench dogs and t-tracks.......I use a workmate and basic old compression clamps and c-clamps right now......I'd like to upgrade but not even sure yet what i all need....(or why i even need it for that matter).....geesh....

just let me know if you'd like to stop over to the house for a cup of coffe and to design my bench for me.....LOL

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it........yeah i am green enough yet to not even really know any better about vises and bench dogs and t-tracks.......I use a workmate and basic old compression clamps and c-clamps right now......I'd like to upgrade but not even sure yet what i all need....(or why i even need it for that matter).....geesh....

just let me know if you'd like to stop over to the house for a cup of coffe and to design my bench for me.....LOL
LOL, well that's kind of a hike, but I'd be glad to help here :laughing:.

Here is the link to what I got for a vise. I just plan on screwing in some 1" (or so) thick maple 5"x7-8" boards to make the vise. The bench dogs I'm just going to drill 3/4" holes with a spade bit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148446&FamilyID=20452

From what I can tell its good hardware. Everything turns well and its the only one I saw with a handle included.

Hope I didn't make you design more difficult by adding one more thing to consider! :laughing:

·
Registered
108 Posts

Hi there! Just to let you know...Etiquiette is VERY important here!;) It isn't graceful to lick epoxy off your fingers either. Is it Tom?:no:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Hi there! Just to let you know...Etiquiette is VERY important here!;) It isn't graceful to lick epoxy off your fingers either. Is it Tom?:no:
LOL....not sure about the graceful part...in some circles it may be....but it sure can't taste very good....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
LOL, well that's kind of a hike, but I'd be glad to help here :laughing:.

Here is the link to what I got for a vise. I just plan on screwing in some 1" (or so) thick maple 5"x7-8" boards to make the vise. The bench dogs I'm just going to drill 3/4" holes with a spade bit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=148446&FamilyID=20452

From what I can tell its good hardware. Everything turns well and its the only one I saw with a handle included.

Hope I didn't make you design more difficult by adding one more thing to consider! :laughing:
thank you sir.......it's gonna take me a while but I'll get there i think.....thanks for the great tips....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts