Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is the wrong section.

As some may or may not know I'm a complete noob at this. I've been messing around in the garage the last few days or so refinishing some shelves, a desk and a few other things. I'm pretty much done with that and am looking for a my first project you might say. I don't want to start anything that will be too terribly expensive as I'm sure I'll make some mistakes so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I've also been looking at a few books and wondered if anyone had any opinions on any of the following?

Woodworkers Visual Handbook
Woodworking Basics
Shop Accessories You Can Build

Thanks in advance,
Hit

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
:thumbsup: If you go to your local Lowes and look around for wood that has been damaged by careless forklift drivers, you can usually get it for a greatly reduced price. Then you can use it to play around with different ideas.
I like to try different projects with this material because if I mess it up I not out alot of money.
I find that the best way to learn is trial and error.:glare:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great idea woodman, thanks so much. We're going this weekend to price a few things so I'll be sure to take a look at that. Yesterday I did go by our local paper and pick up all their old pallets to tinker around with. Figured I would make a sanding block and jig or two for my circular saw. I don't see a table saw in my near future so I'll need to learn to get the most out of what I have. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Pallets can be a real good source of cheap wood. Occasionally you might even get some oak out of some of them. Another good source is to go to an importer to see what they have. Often they will have packing crates, pallets, etc, which are made of mahogany like wood.

Good stuff to play with.

Gerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts