Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m using an old version of Sketchup when it was from Google and I’m having problems with lines and surfaces mysteriously disappearing and not returning even after pressing undo multiple times. I don’t know what changes or corrections have been made on the newer SketchUp Make 2013 and I don’t know if the problems I’m having now are in Sketckup or maybe my computer.

I think I may have to upgrade but after reading Trimble’s acceptance, I’m just not sure I can trust them on my computer. I’m just now really learning Sketchup and I’m only using it for small little projects around the house so I do not want to spend $590.00 US for a program that I don’t use much.

Can anybody reassure me or give me some advice to protect myself? :shifty:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just curious what don't you trust?
Well nothing specific although I do wonder why they bought Sketchup from Google except to make money and how can they make money if everybody can use it for free. They do mention in the agreement they collect data and I’m not a Lawyer so I don’t understand it completely. :confused1:

It’s just that I’ve had so much free stuff in the past and got burned too many times. I was hoping that by posting this thread, I would get some positive feedback, but I guess not enough woodworkers on this site are actually using it. :no:

Anyway since I started this thread, I have downloaded the newer version through Tremble and so far so good. I guess it may be alright because I haven’t noticed anything funny going on. I myself have made giant leaps in my learning progress of Sketchup and I’m pretty much hooked on it now. :thumbsup:

Its a far cry from what I’ve used in the past such as Complete Home Designer, FloorPlan, Home Design and a few others I purchased over the years, I have a stack of Architectural drawing software and none can do what this does. :no:

Don’t get me wrong, they all have something special, but for me Sketchup is what I’ve always been looking for and 10 years ago I might have paid for the professional version, but it’s not worth it to me at this time of my life. :smile:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well nothing specific although I do wonder why they bought Sketchup from Google except to make money and how can they make money if everybody can use it for free. They do mention in the agreement they collect data and I’m not a Lawyer so I don’t understand it completely. :confused1:
Yes Trimble bought Sketchup to make money, that is a given. But Sketchup adds another tool to product portfolio that has a large number of tools for mapping and design.

From a transaction perspective they get to support and sell upgrades to the existing paid user base as well as in-sell to those same customers the rest of their portfolio. That is how they will make money on the deal.

As for data collection, it is fairly common these days to collect anonymous usage information (I.E. what workflow you use and where you click repeatedly) in order to produce better products.

So enjoy the fact that Trimble actually cares about the market segment that Sketchup sits in (Google did not) and will continue to develop it and support it.

·
Old School
373 Posts
I think we all know that with almost anything, the "free" part goes away after awhile... Once they feel fairly confident they can get away with charging for the product. It's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know what there is to not trust but...I have a couple copies of SU on thumb drives.

I have used these a couple times to load SU on other computers and have had no problems. As long as SU is doing for you what you need, there is no need for product support.

If Trimble ever shuts us off, unless we pay - the backup copies can be used forever....and for free....unless there is something I don't know.

Like...could Trimble get into my computer and shut down my SU load.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what there is to not trust but...I have a couple copies of SU on thumb drives.

I have used these a couple times to load SU on other computers and have had no problems. As long as SU is doing for you what you need, there is no need for product support.

If Trimble ever shuts us off, unless we pay - the backup copies can be used forever....and for free....unless there is something I don't know.

Like...could Trimble get into my computer and shut down my SU load.
Well I didn't think of keeping a copy as long as it doesn't have connect to the internet before using. The version I have is working and I'm not planing on doing any updates. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts