Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this nice piece of walnut that comes in at about 1 5/8" x 4 1/4" and about 37" long, but..as you may be able to see there's a fair chunk of bark still remaining. That entire side was covered in bark till I ran as much through the planer as reasonable, (originally it was 2 3/8 so that side had a bunch of bark and the opposite side was pretty much rough cut not to mention twisted and warped. It's quite straight now ) there's still up to about 1/4" (of hard bark) left in the corner of the side showing. I really don't want to plane it much more and definitely don't want to cut off an inch, but I don't want the bark.. It's not soft like most of the bark I did plane off, but still softer than the rest of the board. Any suggestions? I don't have any immediate plans to make anything from it, but I eventually will.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think I would put it in the bin as is till I had a use for it.

I would be really bummed if I cut it one way or the other and then found out I needed the opposite.

Nice hunk of wood you have there!

·
Registered
201 Posts
So I have this nice piece of walnut that comes in at about 1 5/8" x 4 1/4" and about 37" long, I don't have any immediate plans to make anything from it, but I eventually will.
I'd just leave as is for now. What's is hurting to leave it? You may find a use that will be a narrow piece or a piece with a cutout in the project design which will eliminate the bark.

Maybe tag it so you know it is the piece with the blemish.

·
Registered
26,348 Posts
Are you sure it's walnut? Looks more like birch to me.

Until you come up with a project for it I don't know what you can do about the bark. It would need to be turned to where it isn't visible. Also I've seen strips of bark like that come off so I would be careful where you put it.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty much thinking what everyone seems to be saying..just leave it be for the time being.
And Steve, it's definitely walnut. It's likely the lighting giving you the idea it's birch.
The guy that gave it to me worked for the company that made gun stocks until they moved manufacturing to Portugal. He told me when they first shut down operations here they threw away thousands of pounds of perfectly usable walnut and maple. He grabbed what he could carry at the time and never realized how valuable it was until just yesterday in my shop..He's not a woodworker. In fact he's only using the pieces he's keeping to make a punching bag support and may give the rest to me if he can't find another use for it.. He said he's got around 30-40 more just like it.. My big mouth suggested selling it on ebay. I really hope that doesn't appeal to him..lol

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
yup. put it aside until you have its use identified.

I sometimes buy extra thick rough sawn stock. it's not unusual to find a "bad spot" - extreme grain curl/knots/collars.....

most times you can use some of the not-good lengths/chunk with a re-saw for thinner stock.

but indeed planning off 1/2 to 1" to get rid of the bark would be my last thought at this point.

if you're into live edge type stuff - there's an excellent candidate for a "modified" live edge shelf/ledge/mantel.....

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
You say the board is 1 5/8 inch thick. The bark is 2/8 thick. Taking off the bark will still leave a board that is 1 3/8" thick. I see no problem with that.

As others have said. For now just leave it and see what comes in the future.

George

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a great deal of rough sawn lumber that is waiting for me to decide what to build with it. No need to cut it in any way until its fate has been determined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts