Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Kyle, and I'm very new to woodworking and have joined the forum with hopes of learning more. I grew up on a construction site, but just began building furniture and etc about a month ago. I work at a summer camp called Camp Barnabas, which is a Christian camp that serves people with special needs and disabilities. About a month ago I decided to make an end table for my soon to be wife. The head guy out here saw it and asked me to build more stuff, and I soon found out that I really like woodworking. Camp Barnabas is a non profit organization that has limited resources and tools, but I've been able to make a lot of neat stuff with what we have. I am by no means a professional, and I don't sell anything. I just get paid slightly above minimum wage to build furniture out of scrap materials for a few days a week in a place I love. I'm excited to get to learn from everyone here. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, because I often get asked to do things that I don't know exactly how to do and need advice. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
704 Posts
BarnabasBrothers said:
Hello! My name is Kyle, and I'm very new to woodworking and have joined the forum with hopes of learning more. I grew up on a construction site, but just began building furniture and etc about a month ago. I work at a summer camp called Camp Barnabas, which is a Christian camp that serves people with special needs and disabilities. About a month ago I decided to make an end table for my soon to be wife. The head guy out here saw it and asked me to build more stuff, and I soon found out that I really like woodworking. Camp Barnabas is a non profit organization that has limited resources and tools, but I've been able to make a lot of neat stuff with what we have. I am by no means a professional, and I don't sell anything. I just get paid slightly above minimum wage to build furniture out of scrap materials for a few days a week in a place I love. I'm excited to get to learn from everyone here. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, because I often get asked to do things that I don't know exactly how to do and need advice. Thanks for reading!
I would like to applaud you. I am very familiar with st Barnabas we have one up here in PA. My mom works with special needs children as her career. So I would just like to thank you for what your doing its a great thing! If you need anything don't hesitate to ask! Post some pictures of the stuff you've done. This is a great place to be as many will soon tell you. Thank you once again.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Welcome! Lots of questions asked/answered here.
Dave H

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to a great site full of great posters willing to help. Glad to see you jump into our woodworking world with a build - looks great! There's a lot to learn and a basic ingredient is a good attitude which you have. Like Jboozel, thanks for what you do with the camp and the kids. I was a scout leader for 20 years (still involved as a commissioner) and spent many great weeks at camp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts