Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Kyle, and I'm very new to woodworking and have joined the forum with hopes of learning more. I grew up on a construction site, but just began building furniture and etc about a month ago. I work at a summer camp called Camp Barnabas, which is a Christian camp that serves people with special needs and disabilities. About a month ago I decided to make an end table for my soon to be wife. The head guy out here saw it and asked me to build more stuff, and I soon found out that I really like woodworking. Camp Barnabas is a non profit organization that has limited resources and tools, but I've been able to make a lot of neat stuff with what we have. I am by no means a professional, and I don't sell anything. I just get paid slightly above minimum wage to build furniture out of scrap materials for a few days a week in a place I love. I'm excited to get to learn from everyone here. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, because I often get asked to do things that I don't know exactly how to do and need advice. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
704 Posts
BarnabasBrothers said:
Hello! My name is Kyle, and I'm very new to woodworking and have joined the forum with hopes of learning more. I grew up on a construction site, but just began building furniture and etc about a month ago. I work at a summer camp called Camp Barnabas, which is a Christian camp that serves people with special needs and disabilities. About a month ago I decided to make an end table for my soon to be wife. The head guy out here saw it and asked me to build more stuff, and I soon found out that I really like woodworking. Camp Barnabas is a non profit organization that has limited resources and tools, but I've been able to make a lot of neat stuff with what we have. I am by no means a professional, and I don't sell anything. I just get paid slightly above minimum wage to build furniture out of scrap materials for a few days a week in a place I love. I'm excited to get to learn from everyone here. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, because I often get asked to do things that I don't know exactly how to do and need advice. Thanks for reading!
I would like to applaud you. I am very familiar with st Barnabas we have one up here in PA. My mom works with special needs children as her career. So I would just like to thank you for what your doing its a great thing! If you need anything don't hesitate to ask! Post some pictures of the stuff you've done. This is a great place to be as many will soon tell you. Thank you once again.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Welcome! Lots of questions asked/answered here.
Dave H

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This what I'm finishing up now. It is 9' long and 4' wide. It was made using materials from an old bulding that was tore down here at camp barnabas.

ForumRunner_20130709_171551.jpg

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome to a great site full of great posters willing to help. Glad to see you jump into our woodworking world with a build - looks great! There's a lot to learn and a basic ingredient is a good attitude which you have. Like Jboozel, thanks for what you do with the camp and the kids. I was a scout leader for 20 years (still involved as a commissioner) and spent many great weeks at camp.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Welcome to WWT. Thanks for helping our kids. Keep up the good work .

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts