Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I operate 2 cnc machines at work. Solid Surface and MDF dust accumulates in my nose after lots of routing, we have plenty of respirators and dust masks, but I find them quite uncomfortable. I was wondering if any one has used nostril filters for preventing fine dust inhalation. 90% of the breathing we do is through our nose, so I think they would be a great solution for uncomfortable dusk masks and respirators. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Horse-puckey. Your nose filters get plugged, you will breathe through your mouth or die on the spot.
You have really crappy breathing mask gear. Light-weight, beginner stuff. Get something that can keep you alive.
I intend to still be able to blow out the candles on my birthday cakes when I'm 90. You might(?) make 50?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would encourage you to stick with the respirators. I have a (rather cheap (it was a dumpster find)) 3M respirator, and if I only wear it for a few minutes, it feels uncomfortable, but if I keep it on, I forget I'm wearing it after about 5 minutes. Literally. I walked inside the other day and very nearly sloshed a glass of water in my face. :)
The ones you've tried may not have been the right size for your face, or they may need adjusting. I have the 3M, and a gas mask, and you have to adjust them differently to get them to seal right, but once you get a good seal, they're both very comfortable. It's not always just cranking the straps tighter.

Good luck,
Acer

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
I just wear a chemical respirator but if you find them uncomfortable there are full face shields which have the filter on your waist. If you have the big bucks you could even get a air supplied respirator which you wouldn't ingest any dust at all. The air you would be breathing would come from another place away from where you are working. They even make these units with a full hood for those that do sandblasting or spray paint dangerous for skin contact.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I operate 2 cnc machines at work. Solid Surface and MDF dust accumulates in my nose after lots of routing, we have plenty of respirators and dust masks, but I find them quite uncomfortable. I was wondering if any one has used nostril filters for preventing fine dust inhalation. 90% of the breathing we do is through our nose, so I think they would be a great solution for uncomfortable dusk masks and respirators. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
A good two cartridge respirator should cover your nose and mouth. If the mask doesn't fit your face well, it won't be effective no matter what kind you use. Try not to get impulsive and remove the mask too soon. You would be surprised how long airborne particulates, and toxic vapor lingers in the air.

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I ordered a small package of Woody Nostril Filters off amazon, to test them out. I am after all the new safety officer so any measures I can take to create a safe/healthy work environment will be great.

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horse-puckey. Your nose filters get plugged, you will breathe through your mouth or die on the spot.
You have really crappy breathing mask gear. Light-weight, beginner stuff. Get something that can keep you alive.
I intend to still be able to blow out the candles on my birthday cakes when I'm 90. You might(?) make 50?

lol, we have plenty of nice breathing gear, by no means beginner. Good luck blowing out 90 candles :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yeah, I'll be a geezer wheezer by then. I still believe that the issue could and would be the reflex to breathe through your mouth with your nostrils partially blocked by filter boogers.

Cabinetman makes a good point about residual mists and dusts.

I went to a major franchise welding supply place and bought a 2-cartridge mask that actually fits.
One of the store guys helped me to find one with a variety of cartridges and helped me to make certain which ones fit me and which ones didn't. Long time ago but think that it was less than $100.

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't think about that

Depending on how easily clogged, or restrictive the filter makes breathing through the nose, mouth inhalation will become more frequent. I will post a review when I give them a try. Thanks for the input. Rather be a geezer wheezer than 6 feet under, lol. :smile:

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Depending on how easily clogged, or restrictive the filter makes breathing through the nose, mouth inhalation will become more frequent. I will post a review when I give them a try. Thanks for the input. Rather be a geezer wheezer than 6 feet under, lol. :smile:
Nostril Filters were a bust, clogged easily and restricted my breathing.
High quality respirator is way to go

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'll be doing stone carving lessons next summer. The stone guy says my cartridge mask is the way to go, even outdoors. Don't even think about sneezing with that thing on!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you ever been professionally fitted to wear a respirator? At my job we have to get fit - tested with various models and sizes of respirators to determine which one is best suited for each person. It's not only size, but face contour, beard vs no beard, and also a series of activities while wearing the mask - talking, making faces, bending over, twisting side to side from the waist up, all the while having the mask connected to a special reader that detects how well the mask is performing during these excercises. One may think that the average chain store dust mask will suit everybody, but that is not always the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a two filter respirator especially when turning acrylic pen blanks. I had a sever reaction to the fumes a couple of time, I was having difficulty breathing. Since using the respirator I have not had any more problems. You have to be careful if you have a heavy beard, you may not be able to get a proper seal. Check out the MSDS if you can get one so you'll know what your working with. Good idea you keep one in your shop in case something does occur. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts