Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently moved to northern VA after graduation from college. While studying I made time to take a number of wood and metal sculpting classes, all of which I loved. I have one project, a large maple burl carving, that I didn't finish before I moved. I was hoping that my university where I'm starting my master's degree would let me use their art studio, but due to insurance issues and space constraints, they couldn't accommodate me.

Does anyone know of any woodshop spaces, or even just an open studio space (as I have all the tools necessary to finish my project) that is either very cheap or free? Arlington county has an adult studio, but it's $20 per four hour time block, and I was really hoping to not spend that much for a table and some space.

Thanks in advance! Here's my burl, if you want to see:

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you have the tools necessary, do it in your apartment. If you are going to make lots of messes, do it in the bathroom so it's easily cleaned up or on a balcony if you have it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not at all possible. My apartment is very small, and my bathroom is about 4x10. Barely enough room to dry off in, let alone carve a 3ft diameter maple burl. I live in an urban area so outside (no balcony) is not possible either. This is a 120lb, extremely large burl, so I really need a space with enough room for the peice itself and for cleanup.

If anyone knows of any shops or studios, please let me know!

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Presumptuous, there's an art group in DC that rents space in warehouses and they use it for studio and show spaces. It moves every few months and I don't know for sure if it's still running, but look into the DC art scene and it might be a venue. NoVA also has several similar art co-op communities, I believe.

Here is the top google result for "NoVA art co op":

http://www.artmagic.org/resources/coopgalleries.html

Basically a list of art co ops in the DC metro area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the DC metro area, where NOTHING costs as little as $5/hr.
Haha, I learned that extremely quick! And Frank, thank you for the link. I had googled for a few hours prior to posting, but I haven't seen that list before. I will check them out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts