Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in North East Wisconsin with a wide belt sander or a 15" or larger planer that would be willing to run a glue up through? I'm willing to pay a few bucks for your time and wear and tear on your machine....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Gluing up before planing works well if you have a huge planer you don't mind sharpening frequently. That's normally how things are done in a big shop but in a smaller home shop, you are better off to plane to thickness before glue up, use cauls to keep pieces aligned, then it only takes some light sanding. Planing a glue up can be hard on knives, I'd refuse even you were willing to pay for the sharpening and the set up, not worth the aggravation or wear and tear on my planer.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem....I realize it's hard on knives...which is why I usually take it to a place that has a wide belt sander.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you see my post in the Christmas thread? There is a guy in Green Bay advertising planing and sanding on Craigslist Not sure where you are located though. I was searching for planers a couple weeks ago when the ad came up.

Also kettle moraine hardwoods near fond du lac but that may be a bit of a drive for you

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see that....I'm going to call him later today and see how much he wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts