Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is Norm Abram really retired? When you go to his website he has a new project each week or two. Are these new projects or just ones that I never saw on TV?

Tomorrow I'll be ordering his measured drawings and DVD for his deluxe router station. Once I finish the chest of drawers that will be my next project.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I read an article in one of my woodworking magazines about various woodworkers and one of them was Norm.

Although they're not doing any new New Yankee Workshop shows, he's still very active on This Old House and continues to do woodworking on the side.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
While Norms present skills are great.

If you go back to the beginning of the series of the workshop and follow the growth of Norm, you see a wood worker acquiring skills.

I remember a couple earlier episodes where he used too much glue and his squeeze out was a Niagara Falls. Earlier where he cut boards to length and then glued them together and had to adjust.

Later you saw experience in his style and methods. While he has better skills than I, it was interesting to watch him grow his skills over the years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
????????

I do not understand what "Norm Abram is correct." means.

George
I believe he's referring to the way the OP spelled it in the thread title as "Abraham" instead of "Abram".

I grew up watching Norm on NYW and TOH. I owe much of my woodworking knowledge and inspiration to him. I used to record the episodes on VHS tape and watch them over and over and absorb as much knowledge as I could.

I was really sad to hear that they pulled the plug on New Yankee Workshop.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Just how many wood workers have his skills. He never makes a mistake and every thing just comes out perfect ever time. As for myself I'm even close.
By the time the episode gets filmed for TV, there may have been a few takes. Many of his projects had a sample for him to reproduce. His show was interesting, and I'm surprised that there aren't more of those DIY type shoes on TV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
By the time the episode gets filmed for TV, there may have been a few takes. Many of his projects had a sample for him to reproduce. His show was interesting, and I'm surprised that there aren't more of those DIY type shoes on TV.

I can well understand that and I do enjoy his shows. I know myself being a amateur wood worker I learn from my mistakes

I can well understand that and I do enjoy his shows. I know myself being a amateur wood worker I learn from my mistakes

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
Norm was at a Rockler store several years ago. He was asked the question about how everything came out perfect.

Norm's answer was that they did every project two times. He said that the show usually combined video from the two builds.

Perfection? Not really but the first mistake tells him how to do it right the next time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Norm is largely responsible for my getting into woodworking. I used to record NYW and watch them over and over again. I would then build variations of his projects by refering to his videos. When he was starting out the internet was just being born, and woodworking forums weren't readily available.

·
Jack of too many trades..
599 Posts
Myself as well. Norm and Roy Underhill got me very interested in wood from an early age. The original seasons of This Old House really gave me the fever. ...course that was Bob Villa back at the beginning...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.