Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all,
Just found this site today. Google is responsible. :yes:
I'm a member of Shopsmith forums, Handymanclub forums, DIY and now here. Was looking for a place that focuses in woodworking instead of all the other stuff. Grew up in East Tennessee on farms, got drafted in 1968 for Viet Nam, did my 2 tours, started my apprenticeship in Graphic Arts for Dept. of the Navy at Naval Air Rework Facility, Pensacola. Went through Production Controller, management analyst, systems analyst and trained myself to develop programs with dBase III, III+, IV, Foxpro, Visual Basic and Microsoft SQL. Dabbled in Oracle before retiring in 2003. Was given a shopsmith by a good friend about 5 years ago. Have bandsaw, joiner, biscuit joiner, plus the lathe, drill press, horizontal boring machine, table saw and sander of the machine. Have made several children's toys including many cars and truck, pirate chests, bandsaw boxes, shoe racks, tables for children, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Working on a toy chest, catepillar and a tsunami bandsaw box at the moment. Once I learn how to upload pics to the site, will show off my butchering. :laughing:
My name is Steve and care for my wife who is in a wheelchair due to lupus and MS. Will be in and out depending on my schedule.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard, take care of the wife there MS is nothing to play around with I have it to

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, BgCougar. I must say that I really enjoy your carving and finishing. I hope you have a thread or more regarding your finishing techniques. Also, I hope you have some threads showing your work. Thanks for showing me your work.
And, I am so sorry that you have MS. I hate MS and sorry that anyone gets it. That's why we walk to raise funds for research to find a cure.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Lots of learning here- in a friendly atmosphere. I too have /use a Shopsmith on occasion.
And am fairly well acquainted with MS and other maladies.
Dave H

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome Steve - and thanks for your service. Yes, this is a great site for woodworkers. I've been a member here for a while and it's the best hangout. The club has lots of great folks I've met, but this site is a lot more active in its' woodworking talk. Like the club, lots of great folks here also...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Retired Navy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you fo rthe welcome. This looks like a really great site and much to learn.

BigCougar, thank you for your service to out country. I checked out your webiste and I'm blown away. Thanks for sharing that.

Oh, geez, I forgot the other website in BC of Canada. I'm very impressed.

Thanks for your post, Bernie. I'm sure you have much to share as I've seen much of your wonderful work. I'll try to keep up, but I admit I'm slow. So, I'll just move along at my turtle speed and enjoy the creations and imaginations of all the talented ones I've already observed.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Welcome. You have joined a great forum.

P'Cola is a great town for retired Navy. I am from that AF territory 50 miles east of you.

George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts