Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I just couldn't wait long enough to sand in between coats and it was tacky... I also have a small line where I sanded through the stain.

What is the best way to fix and I thank you all in advance? Also if this is in the wrong forum please smack me into the right place.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wait till it dries completely and sand it all down to bare wood. This will give you a good reason to slowdown and wait next time.

I always seem to make the biggest mistakes when I rush.

Oh and welcome.

Reactions: Burn

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
So... I just couldn't wait long enough to sand in between coats and it was tacky... I also have a small line where I sanded through the stain.

What is the best way to fix and I thank you all in advance? Also if this is in the wrong forum please smack me into the right place.
A lot depends on where the sand through place is. If it is in a highly visible place like on a table top it would be easier to strip the finish off and start over. If it is in a lesser visible place a lot of times you can add color to the spot with a small brush or touch up markers to where you can barely tell there was ever a sand through place there. If that is an option, wait until it dries better and do a normal sanding on it and then touch up the color and coat over it. Walmart now even sells touch up markers. They have them where the furniture polish is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. It is on the top of the piece so sanding down and starting over sounds like the thing to do.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

You should be able to tell right away if it's cured enough. Sandpaper will get grabby, and not make dust. That's the time to stop. If you let it cure, it should sand off. If you removed some stain, you can use a small artist brush or a rag to dab some stain back on, it may become not noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts