Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago I purchased a used Powermatic 15" floor model planer. The planer is about 12 years old or so. It produces a little bit of snipe on the left hand side. To combat this, the previous owner just ran everything through on the right hand side. When I started using it, I was not pleased with the results. (This was also one of the first things I bought when I started woodworking 3 years ago.) I ended up tearing down the planer and finding the rollers were badly worn on the right side. I replaced the rollers, new knives, leveled the bed and now am quite happy with the machine. But it is quite loud as soon as it is turned on. I have to wear earplugs,before I ever feed a board into it. I do not have anything to compare this to noise wise nor do i remember if it was that way before the teardown. Is this normal for planers in general, for this type of planer or have I reassembled something incorrectly causing this whine? I sure hate the thought of tearing this down again but if I did something to cause this whine then it will eventually show me what was wrong in the form of a breakdown. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If it's much louder after being worked on, something must be wrong.
If it's possible to disengage the feed, while running, do that, and see if noise goes away.
If it has belts, remove one at a time to determine where the noise is coming from.

My direct drive Boice-Crane planer, is one of the quietest machines in my shop. It might be a bit louder if belt drive.

Be sure to let us know what you find.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
I think it's the dust collection shroud

Mine's a Jet 15" , but probably similar?
I found that by removing the dust collection shroud from the planer, the noise reduction was about 1/2 what it was with it on. The dust collector had some unusual effects...? Try it without a dust shroud. Then I replaced it with a floor sweep on a rubber hinge and it works quite well.

Here's a thread:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/jet-planer-noise-problem-13519/

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
OK

Post a picture.
posted:

I used the shroud on my 12" Baby Grizzly drum sander for better dust collection:

You wanted photos...?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanks for the replies. However, there has been a death in the family so it will be a while before I can tackle this issue but wanted to let you know I wasn't just not responding. Will let you know after I get back out to the shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts