Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All these were made from scraps - turned on a homemade lathe. All the painted ones are pine from 2X4 cutoffs, turned, sanded and handed to the wife for paint and glitter.

Some are already on various trees throughout the land..... :icon_smile:

Attachments

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
I like these as quick gifts for family/friends. Couple questions, though:

1. Estimated time involved on each ornament?

2. Where did you find the hangers? Craft shop, like Hobby Lobby, I presume. Right?

3. Did you spray lacquer over them to seal them off?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like these as quick gifts for family/friends. Couple questions, though:

1. Estimated time involved on each ornament?

2. Where did you find the hangers? Craft shop, like Hobby Lobby, I presume. Right?

3. Did you spray lacquer over them to seal them off?
Turning the ornament takes perhaps 5-10 minutes, when I'm doing other ww projects I take a few minutes to rip some of the cutoffs into square stock for ornaments. Sometimes the cutoffs from a rip operation are just the right size anyway.

Wife bought the hangers - Lowes perhaps.

The natural wood ornaments are mostly CA finish, a couple are spray lacquer, one is Minwax stain. The pine ones are painted and coated with glitter, wife uses the $2 sample paints from Lowes.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great assortment of ornaments there. I think they'll bring smiles to many faces and joy to many trees! Thanks for showing these.

I'm always jealous of you whose spouses like to help with the finishing of your projects. I've known lots of carvers, too, whose wives do the painting after they complete their pieces. That's really cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts