Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used No voc or low voc stain or poly? I have a client that would like me to use it I just never used it before. Any special ways to apply it or is it the same as regular stain? Any particular brands you guys use?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I personally try to avoid them but have used them on a floor before. If it's a water base it really helps to wet the rags with water before you get it wet with stain. It helps slow the drying and gives you more work time. I just haven't had very good experience with low voc stains.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
Be sure to charge more as it is more labor intensive. Personally I would charge double for the finishing work. Because the stain is water based if it is a wiping stain be prepared to wipe it off really fast. The few I've used I just sprayed it on like a dye stain and let it dry. It would probably be easier on you if you used a water based dye stain. It would fit the criteria. The wood then is going to be rougher than if you used an oil stain so it will take several coats before it starts looking like you are putting a finish on it. Then start sanding between coats and keep applying finish until you have a coating about 3 mils thick which is about the thickness of a lawn and leaf trash bag.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Water based stain is going to raise the grain. You'll have to sand the stained surface before applying the poly.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
Water based dye is zero VOC and really simple to use. You can spray it or wipe it. The only thing you should do is raise the grain before your final sand which I do anyway to get rid of dents and scratches. There are some very good water based finishes and some really bad ones, they don't work like conventional finishes so do samples first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts