Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been so long since I got to do any woodworking I'll call a crafts project close enough. Not actual woodworking in the sense we think of it, and if I had not volunteered to make this for the VFD for their fund raiser I would not have taken the time to do even this.
No matter. It gave me a taste of woodworking after too many months of not having made anything. My youngest son (14) helped and that was enough fun all on it's own.:thumbsup:
At first I didn't quite know how it worked but I got it figured out, rounded off the edges, and even got the first coat of Poly on it.
It as good to make some dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks great and I believe I can smell it from here. Just gotta love the smell of cedar.

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice Job there Kev......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's an awesome lookin' table...Like Matt said..even bookmatched...:yes: :yes: :yes:

Gald to see ya got away from fixin' that new mill and got a nice project like that done....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Kevin-The finish on the cedar came out great. I was talking to a tree service buddy who told me about a place over on the other side of Vermont where he knows a guy with a big cedar swamp that has red cedar. The guy said he thinks it's junk and doesn't even like cutting it. I think we worked out a chance to buy about 2000-3000 bdft for about $200/1000bdft!. From what my buddy was telling me, it's pretty big stuff too. Hopefully it works out, my wife would love a picnic table just like that...

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments. JP I hope you get the cedar. It has many many uses I can't see how anyone would call it junk. One mans' junk anothers' treasure eh.
Shoot, most people think Box Elder is junk they give it away around here. ;)

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scouts honor i'm not trolling for accolades but I thought y'all might want to see how it finished out with the final coat.

My buddy picked up the table Sunday and went nanners. :laughing:

I didn't mention this to y'all because it hadn't crossed my mind but that 2 coats y'all seen was semi gloss and this final is gloss. I didn't have enough of either so I had saved the gloss for last. Pardon the reflection it's the skylights in the shop. :glare:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's really a beautiful table, Kev....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm just finishing my cherry table today...I had to do the same thing...several coats of satin and one nice coat of glossy and I came out with a pretty nice semi-gloss look....;) ;) ;)

'Nuthin like some good lookin' cedar......

Thanks for the update....:yes: :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts