Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a #5 plane on line for parts and was sent a different plane that I won the bid on. Even with so little information on the brand of the plane, I decided to keep it. It is not a Stanley, but one of the many clones that where produced in that era where Stanley was the top producer. The plane that was sent was a Prutton #5, not a head turner at all but it does spot a heavier plane bottom casting then I have seen, and it is straight. Still have to tune it up, but it is on it's way to become maybe a user.
Made between 1935 to early 1950 in Cleveland, Ohio is about all the information I could find about it.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
A nice clean up on the plane. Looks like it will be a very good user.

I have not heard of this company before. No surprise, there are so many companies who made various hand tools long since out of business.

I see a high knob, but no ring in the casting. Perhaps this is from the period when Stanley did the same, not for long, since the high knobs seem to have been easy to break. Stanley then reinforced with the ring in the casting.

You should be happy to have this plane in your collection. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
It looks good and will probably be a good user. If it was advertised as a Stanley I would still register a complaint against the seller, just helps to keep sellers honest.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very nice looking plane, good job. The very bottom line is though you didn't get what you bid on. I guess it's how badly you needed the parts vs. a nice old plane. The good news is that there is still tonnage available of old Stanleys........I probably would keep it too for that little bit of money. I would mention it to the seller though.

What parts are you looking for?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really was looking for a Miller Falls front knob screw for my #9 Type 3.
They have the blue steel screws instead of the brass nut and steel rod.
Spied a Mohawk plane on auction won the bid for 2.25, Mohawk was made by Millers and was taking a gamble that it might have the steel screw. Well to make the story short was sent the Prutton instead.
I have a few more finishing touches to do to it before I contact the seller and tell him thanks with a attached photo of the Prutton restored. Have seen a few Mohawks on line cheap, but never a Prutton.

And thank you for asking about parts adot45, been buying part planes to kind of build up a inventory of screws and knobs and so forth, problems is I cant help restore or cleanup those planes...:cowboy:

Here is a pic of the plane I had won the bid

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts

And thank you for asking about parts adot45, been buying part planes to kind of build up a inventory of screws and knobs and so forth, problems is I cant help restore or cleanup those planes...:cowboy:

Hi acowboy, shoot, I sold all my MF's stuff when I decided to go all Stanley.......but didn't have that loose part anyway.

It's funny what you say about "parts planes".....same here, I get old clunkers but then decide to revive them. So I have a mess of planes apart from my "collection" that are all dolled up but each missing one or two pieces to make them whole. :laughing: I guess I just have this thing about scraping them out......I will keep an eye out for the knob screw for you though. Always nice to see a restored hand tool, good job!

·
Registered
54 Posts

Hi acowboy, shoot, I sold all my MF's stuff when I decided to go all Stanley.......but didn't have that loose part anyway.

It's funny what you say about "parts planes".....same here, I get old clunkers but then decide to revive them. So I have a mess of planes apart from my "collection" that are all dolled up but each missing one or two pieces to make them whole. :laughing: I guess I just have this thing about scraping them out......I will keep an eye out for the knob screw for you though. Always nice to see a restored hand tool, good job!
This sounds familiar. I am constantly borrowing parts from my old planes to use on the new ones I pick up, therefore leaving me with the same issue on the planes I already had. It's a fun cycle though..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's time to post a pic of the Prutton restore, seems real nice. Blade was just honed with 1500 wet dry sandpaper and even finer honing, results would be even better no doubt. This #5 is heavier than my other 5's but is real comfortable. Need now is a better planning bench set up;)

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh, OK, I see now. I just scrolled up to remind myself of what the "before" looked like ......... just chalk it up to a senior moment. :laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts