Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I used to work around some old timers like that. The all had at least one finger missing. I had the chance one day to see this 85 year old guy run a curved arm stair rail end on a shaper freehand. Before he got three inches into the cut I had to turn away. When he turned the shaper off I turned back and he had done it fine and he only had seven fingers to hold onto it with.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't see any red. What's the problem? :blink:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I was there when my Grandda milled a truck load of Cherry using a field saw driven by a 8" wide, 10' long belt connected to a tractor. The thing had a blade that was at least 36" in diameter with 2" teeth and no kind of blade guard anywhere on it. Back then I was too young to be scared. I just got bored watching the parents and grand parents (including mothers and grandmothers, aunts and uncles) loading logs into it and stacking planks all day.

Now days most of us would never use one of those old saws the way our parents did everyday. To them that was the latest and greatest way of doing things.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Before I was born and while I was a kid, my dad and uncles cut firewood to length using a very similar saw/method. He had an old alice chalmers tractor with the PTO out of the side of the engine. A large belt went to a huge blade like in the previous videos. Then an 8' log was placed onto the saws bed. The entire bed was spring loaded and had to be pushed forward into the blade. Just like the video, no guards on anything including the blade.

I have some very old home video of the process that was made into a DVD but I can't seem to get it converted to a format that I can upload to youtube otherwise I would share it here. I also still have two of the large circular blades. This was in the 60's and early 70's. I remember as a kid the piles of firewood as large as a 2 car garage and piles of sawdust that were knee deep on the adults. Thanks for sharing those videos. It brought back some memories.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Cabinetman thanks for posting the video, I enjoy seeing how they use to do things in the past.....BUT man that chills me to the spine watching how close they were loading those blocks in by a running blade. I understand guards and safety...THAT'S a prime example why we have OSHA now....somewhere they just went overboard on some things!!LOL

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
618 Posts
Those aren't so bad because they have power feeders. All they have to do is just grab the offcuts which fall to the side.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Watch the part wear they load the block into the feeder with the blade running!!! OUCH!!! TOO close for me!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts