Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never mad anything that wasnt held together by screws or nails, other than a small wooden sign that my wife could paint for fathers day.

So i wanted to make something, but nothing too extravagant, that relies on glue for structural integrity and not screws.. ill make us some night stands, or attempt to at least.

i went out and bought twenty 1x6 six foot boards. the measurements for the stands will be 24"wide x 18"deep x 27"tall and the front will have a drawer on top, and a cabinet on the bottom. ideally.

so i got my pieces Roughly cut to size:

Ive never used a planer before and i bought this one today at lowes. Probably not the best one in the world, but it works, kinda. Probably more user error than anything. BUT i took the two sides that are to be glued together and planed down the edges:

once i did those 3 boards i glued em up! :

I only have 3 claps at the moment, so this might take a week to build.

Tomorrow ill make the piece i just glued flat and pretty. and glue up some more boards.

Again, ive never done anything like this before, so if you could offer word of wisdom, or anything id really appreciate it!

The only tools i have are a table saw, sander, palm router, and jigsaw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im sorry about the picture quality on those last pictures, dont know what happend there??

Any ways this is sort of what im trying to make, i got it from an Amish website:

all im changing is the size of it really.

Is this possible to build with screws and nails?
i was thinking of trying Rabbets to hold it all together and tortise tenon the front btwn the drawer and door, and below the door as well.
Im going to try my first attemt at dove tails for the drawer also.

Thanks for stopping buy

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm following along with you.

Definitely can build this without screws and nails (you might need some for the hinges and to hold the top on though).

You might want to do a search in the forum, there have been several good tutorials on using M&T and dovetail joinery - these should help you work through putting your stands together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hinges for the top?! hmmm thats not a bad idea!!

I have a question tho, and i think im doing this wrong. Should i plane the boards before i glue them together or after?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Actually I meant screws for the hinges and screws to hold the top on. Now that I think about it though you could always hinge the top - maybe even have a hidden compartment under the top in the space above the drawer;)

I'm assuming the wood you bought is S4S (surfaced or sanded 4 sides) so it shouldn't need any planing before gluing. It might need some after depending on the glue up and if any wood moved. You might just get away with using a chisel or scraper to clean of excess glue and then sanding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks steve! Its been about 100 degrees in my garage the past 2 days so needless too say i havnt gotten anything done with these. im gonna try to get out there tonight after it cools down a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts