Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the drawing board- I do not like the wood combo. Lid is nice bottom is nice- combo- horrible. Can't win all the time :censored::furious:

Attachments

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Perhaps time to do a little mixing and matching. I think the top could look great on a dark, solid bottom (something like a dark walnut or a seasoned cherry). The base could be coupled with the same wood on the base on the lid with a simple border inlay.

Gorgeous wood by the way.

·
Overconfidant Rookie
61 Posts
Beautiful design and execution.

I wouldn't use the word "bad" to describe anything about this project. But you're right, it might be too much figure. It could use a plain-grained section to contrast all that magnificent grain.

That said, I'm way jealous of your wood and skills.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the other I built 2- Thanks for the compliments- I think I got too bold and tried too much. I think this one works better but???

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice boxes. I especially like the awesome burls on the second box.

I agree that's it's a little much; the first box is too busy and lacking much color contrast. But I do like each part individually. Maybe you'd want to make another lid and base to mix with what you've already got for just the right combo. What you've made is beautiful though. They're both much nicer than any I've made. So I'm certainly in no place to criticize. But, other than the low contrast in the first box, there's really not much to criticize anyway.

Sometimes you can't predict exactly how it will look until you try. They're both nice boxes though. And I bet there's someone who would find that particular box to be absolutely perfect. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice boxes. I especially like the awesome burls on the second box.

I agree that's it's a little much; the first box is too busy and lacking much color contrast. But I do like each part individually. Maybe you'd want to make another lid and base to mix with what you've already got for just the right combo. What you've made is beautiful though. They're both much nicer than any I've made. So I'm certainly in no place to criticize. But, other than the low contrast in the first box, there's really not much to criticize anyway.

Sometimes you can't predict exactly how it will look until you try. They're both nice boxes though. And I bet there's someone who would find that particular box to be absolutely perfect. :thumbsup:
Thanks, It is all big leaf maple and the color differences really did not show until I put finish on. Curly did not seem so curly and quilted did not have so much color. Solution will be curly bases for curly lids and burl lid for burl- quilted for quilted. It is simple-2 more boxes................. and 2 more lids.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike,
As always, I love the figure. What finish did you apply to bring out the grain? I agree that you could have smashing results with the top and a simpler bottom and vice versa.
Thanks, I usually use General wipe on poly but last year I bought a box of general prelude wipe on finish from a freight co. for a buck a can. Tried it and did not like it-only one coat. Well I decided to try again. first coat was a disappointment but second and third coats really look nice. That is good- I have a bunch of it.
I am making new lids. Not as daring.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:no:Reminds me of a used car salesman 1972.....
That is funny!!!!!!!!!!! plaid bellbottom pants- paisley shirt-lamb chops and long hair. man you just dated yourself..............:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Hunter
240 Posts
You're right. That looks horrible! You'd better mail it to me for proper disposal.

It may be too busy for some eyes, but I think it looks good. Of course your opinion matters the most. I suppose you can salvage both pieces by building a new bottom and lid to mix and match?

Hunter

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're right. That looks horrible! You'd better mail it to me for proper disposal.

It may be too busy for some eyes, but I think it looks good. Of course your opinion matters the most. I suppose you can salvage both pieces by building a new bottom and lid to mix and match?

Hunter
thanks- that is exactly what I am doing. New lids for right now and new bottoms for the lids. I will have a new thread and picture tomorrow if i get the time.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

Hunter
The most important opinion is that of whomever receives the boxes. As long as the ultimate owner is happy, all is well. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.