Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Yea. I ordered belts for the things, when they come in I think it is all going to Ebay. I have been watching them :eek:. I would use the Unimat as a mini wood lathe, the head comes off the pole and can be used as a horizontal mill/lathe, but I have one of those already. I am hoping to make a few $100 and buy something I would use more often.
I have seen the Unimat sell for $400-$600 and the Boley jewelers lathe for about the same money...not bad for $20 :no:.
I would keep them, but I would rather sell them (maybe ?, I am going to put a reserve on them, I ain't giving them away) and buy some woodworking tool I just "have to have". Even though I do not know what that is yet. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Yea, check them out. I did put them on eBay, I shot a video to try to help sell them (no belts yet :blink:). I like that little Watch-Craft motor, 10,000 rpm forward and reverse. I don't care if that one sells.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I wish I knew more resources how to date old Boley jewelers lathes. I saw one listed with the serial 9000 something and it was called "prewar". The one I have is #3719, I reckon that would make it older.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
I knew a guy years ago who built miniature steal engines and hot air engines with a Unimat....to me, it would have been tedious, but since he was a self taught machinist, he never knew any different. They are cute...in case I don't see them on eBay, be sure to report the sale price for curiosity.

I can imagine a lot of uses for that motor...

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
joasis. that would be the only use for me too, making a steam engine (or maybe mini cannon :eek:). I am a trained steam fitter, 5 year trade school. And I actually looked up plans for them. Some of them were very cool and I found many YouTube videos of micro steam engines. Then I got thinking, just what I need another "hobby". I spend too much time fiddling around as it is. I decided to sell the stuff before I used it and liked it. I have sawdust to make, no time for metal shavings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts