Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Wood and Electrical Masters:

I have also posted this under electrical forum...

I have moved into a new apartment in which my bedroom walls are all particle board
. Now I think I have figured out how to cover them with a cute fabric because he wont let me paint or wallpaper it. However, I'm worried about the electrical outlets and switches. I haven't gotten a close look at the outlets and have no idea what I'm doing, if there okay, if it will cause a fire because I have a lot of electronics etc...What should I do? What is my next step? How do I know that they are safe and secure? And is no secure how to I get them so? Is there anything else I should know or worry about with having particle board as walls? Unfortunately I have to live there, I don't have any other options so I have to make it work and there land lord isn't wavering. I don't know if the particle board is covering a regular Sheetrock (kinda covering something up) wall or if its just the particle board. I will have more info in a day or two. But if ANYBODY knowledgeable in this topic please contact me...the easiest way would be [email protected] and sooner the better. I wonder how much it would cost a electrician to come out and check the situation? I wouldn't be able to check this forum often. Any info will help and be MUCH appreciated! I know there is a lot of questions and concerns in this post, but if anybody reads this and can help please read carefully and try to answer everything you can...

MUCH APPRECIATED,

Nikki Gagnon
Saco, Maine
[email protected]

·
Nobody
1,237 Posts
I would not cover the walls with fabric. I think it would be a major
fire hazard. Any fire would go straight to the ceiling. I really don't
like the idea of PB for walls in living space. Again, fire hazard.

I know someone that built a house and used luan board for all
the interior and had a wood stove. He woke up to smoke and
the alarm and the house was gone in less than five minutes,
and I mean gone!

Luan is a type of plywood for under tile and other flooring use. It
is cheap.

You didn't give us a location, welcome to the mad house BTW,
as far as the safety of the outlets and such, I am sure the local
fire department would be more than happy to take a look at it.
That is what they do. Prevention is the best medicine.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I did not think that exposed particle board is legal for a vertical application in any type of construction.

I did not think that anything flamable could be used as walls unless covered by something like sheet rock.

With the landlord not permitting you to paint the walls, IMHO, sounds very bizzare to me.

·
where's my table saw?
29,192 Posts
I second this remark

If you won't get "booted out" have a fire inpector examine the room. The landlord may not be able to rent the place regardless, if it's in violation. Paint that is fire retardant may work as a quick fix. I donno?
Sounds dangerous to me. And especially with a lot of electronics in the room......:eek: bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would call a building inspector immediately. If it's not up to code, then the landlord will have to make it code or I would think.... refund you every single penny that you've spent on the place so far and let you out of your lease. I'm certainly no attorney, but something is rotten in Denmark with this and it smells to high heaven. You need some professional advice here and I think it should start with the building inspector in your municipality.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am almost 100% sure that in rental apartments the walls need to be fire rated, which means 5/8" fire rated sheet rock or equivalent. I have never heard of or seen partical board used on walls. If I remember correctly particle board is pretty flamable due to the saw dust particles and glue used to make it. Also gives off toxic fumes when it burns. Sounds like a bad situation to be in for you. Not sure where you are located but I would start looking for a new place to rent and then call the building inspector and have him come take a look at your situation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wonder if it is really particle board? Perhaps she or someone else has misunderstood what is there. It seems strange she cannot cover it. I agree with everyone's post about checking on that. An temporary option would be a curtain in front of the wall, just pretend it is a big window.

·
Nuts!
67 Posts
is there any way you could take a picture and upload it for us to see?

it would certainly make for better responses!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I actually have seen it once in a "residential" application. The building that is now my shop had been converted to a detached residence from the house, now my home. It was trashed when I bought it but there were sure enough pb walls with cheap paneling affixed to it serving as "rooms". There were the remains of a add on bathroom and natural gas space heater as well. The roof had caved in and half the floor was gone but the traces of someones home remained, including mail addressed to either 308 A or 308 B.
All those walls are gone, the furring strips on the exterior masonry walls are gone new metal roof, new floor and all the tube and post wiring is gone. And all the "plumbing" is gone.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt here and assume this isn't spam, despite my better judgment.

As others have said this is definitely not up to code. Get out immediately, and demand your money back. If the landlord gives you any grief about breaking a rental agreement just tell him you'll sue him and involve the building inspector.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I googled her name and location and she posted this question on yahoo answers, diychatroom, and here without ever checking back in. Also found out she is 27 and it takes her just under an hour to finish a 5k run/walk in cumberland, me. Not sure if she is a troll or not but not going to send her any emails to her address.

·
where's my table saw?
29,192 Posts
I sent her a PM

Which will show up at the email she listed for this site. If there is no response then that's our answer. You can do the same also and see what happens. Possibly it's all harmless. I'd feel better with a full length photo and a phone number......:thumbsup: bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts