Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Oooo, was I excited to see this at a sale. Got it for a song too. It needs a tote, any ideas? It looks different than any of the other totes I have and I am wondering if another plane got the same tote? The tote is functional, no crack near the base, just part of the top broken off. Any comments/opinions would help as this is my first 62. Thanks!

Pat

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is sweet...!
Tote does not look that bad from what I can see.
You have a option to make a new one for it too.
Nice plane....

·
7,222 Posts
The plane looks in good condition. More of a clean up than restoration.

The key for new totes is the angle of the hole. Stanley were not exactly consistent.

Insert a piece of 1/4in dia rod longer than the tote.

Draw the outline of the tote and lines on either side of the rod. Cut this out and tape to a piece of wood for the new tote. Make the line for the hole to be 90 deg to the piece of wood. Makes it easier to drill the hole.

Drill the oversize holes for the top nut and bottom post.

Then cut the tote out on a bandsaw or with a coping saw.

Sand to final shape. I rout the edges. Some folks use a file on the edges.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is sweet...!
Tote does not look that bad from what I can see.
You have a option to make a new one for it too.
Nice plane....
Not the best picture in terms of detailing the tote damage. My apologies for that, the damage is worse than it appears. The tote is still usable but pretty roughed up at the same time. I am not versed in tote repair at all so I was hoping there was another plane that had a similar tote I could swap onto this bad boy.. In regards to the rest of the plane, it is pretty clean. Did I stumble on to a rare plane?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"did I find a rare plane?"

and let me guess you got it for $25 and it was in a box with a stanley 51/52 too.
Actually I got it for less than 25 and I got a No. 98/99 side rabbet planes. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand a No. 8, No. 12, No. 71, No. 55, No. 93 and a No. 152 spoke shave. How you like them apples? :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sweet,
You related to the James gang...?:laughing:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lol...
nice buy though, know they have a good home now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice plane and even nicer price. The vintage #62 was prone to break at the mouth, so be gentle with her. She's a keeper.
Thank you! Luckily the mouth is solid, just a little lipstick on this baby and it will be a nice little rig. Still looking for a tote for this thing, any ideas other than fabbing one up myself?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thank you! Luckily the mouth is solid, just a little lipstick on this baby and it will be a nice little rig. Still looking for a tote for this thing, any ideas other than fabbing one up myself?
you can call or email the various vintage parts dealers. Making a nee one shouldn't be that big of a chore. I've got a blog on making them.

I have a short list posted here, http://lumberjocks.com/donwilwol/blog/24092

1 - 12 of 12 Posts