Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I was wondering if anyone had one of these or have used one? I am very new to woodworking, but I found a Craftsman 9.22851 table saw, new in box on Craigslist. From my research, this is a saw from around 2000. Do you all concur? The photos of the packaging show it as a 3hp 10".

I was wondering if it had the ability to run on 240v? I helped a friend rewire his old Delta table saw for 240v and the difference was amazing, so I think I want to do the same.

The price on it is $250... Is that fair? High?

The intended use will be for ripping 1x lumber and sheets of OSB on my basement finishing project, but I want something that will be also serve as a decent, all purpose table saw. I'm not even sure I would classify as a hobbyist. I'm likely just that guy that needs a table saw for this upcoming project and ripping random pieces a few times per year.

Thanks in advance for the responses!:smile:

·
where's my table saw?
28,580 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well

Thank you for your efforts. Maybe I should just pass on this. Google doesn't turn up much info either.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am seeing one of the boxes marked align a rip. that number shown is actually a sears stock number rather than the model number.
Guessing from the age, the max 3hp developed and the align a rip i'd guess that's probably a belt drive cast iron topped contractor's saw of the Emerson variety.

Its definitely worth a looking into, if i am correct its a reputable contractor saw with a decent fence. IMO would be a steal brand new @ 200 dollars.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hard saw to find info on. Just searching on the 22851 number it appears to be a belt driven saw. I'd imagine direct drive saws don't have their fence rails in a separate box, so I'm guessing this is what Troy mentioned. CI top, etc... I'd jump on it. Immediately. As in why are you reading this and not driving over there right now?

Even if he doesn't let you open it, just try picking up the first box and if it's over 100 lbs, buy it. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
From what I found it is actually a 1.5 HP motor, the 3 HP "Max Developed" is a gimmick line. I'm not sure if it can do the 220V conversion or if the $250 is that great of a deal for it either.

Here are some of the links I found that aren't necessarily the saw you've found, but probably close for reference.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/thoughts-craftsman-10-table-saw-18505/
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/52934
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?102365-Craftsman-113298762-table-saw-purchase

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes the 3hp is a farce, though 1.5 hp (same as what most big box stores are currently selling in contractor saws, 13 amp) is adequate and they are able to be converted to 220v if one so desires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am seeing one of the boxes marked align a rip. that number shown is actually a sears stock number rather than the model number.
Guessing from the age, the max 3hp developed and the align a rip i'd guess that's probably a belt drive cast iron topped contractor's saw of the Emerson variety.

Its definitely worth a looking into, if i am correct its a reputable contractor saw with a decent fence. IMO would be a steal brand new @ 200 dollars.
Were any of the Emerson saws Taiwan made?

·
Registered
530 Posts
From what I found it is actually a 1.5 HP motor, the 3 HP "Max Developed" is a gimmick line. I'm not sure if it can do the 220V conversion or if the $250 is that great of a deal for it either.

Here are some of the links I found that aren't necessarily the saw you've found, but probably close for reference.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/thoughts-craftsman-10-table-saw-18505/
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/52934
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?102365-Craftsman-113298762-table-saw-purchase
I definitely don't think it's the first link - that's a direct drive and I found the 22851 listed amongst the belt-drives. Plus that's the type of fence I meant with direct drives - not the kind that have them packaged separately with the rails.

Just go down and open the box and if it's CI and a belt drive, buy it. Pretty much a no-brainer. If he complains about not opening the box, tell him you don't know what's in there; could just be a pile of rocks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Were any of the Emerson saws Taiwan made?
I believe the majority of the Emerson saws were US made., though the later ones after TTI bought out Emerson i believe were Chinese. the numbers before the decimal in the model number, 113 translates to emerson, 351 i believe is TTI ( a mass grouping dealing with ryobi, some ridgid tools, etc.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
A Yahoo search for Craftsman 22851 table saw brings up a review site. The description says, 10" cast iron table saw. One of the reviews, cast iron wings are mentioned. I would assume its the webbed style. Based on the reviews I read, Id say its a cast iron contractor saw. I believe for the price, Id be all over it, well, unless it is one of the flex drive saws, then I would hesitate. If its belt driven, i wouldnt even be thinking about it, especially after you allready posted such a great deal on an open forum!!

OH, someone mentioned in the pros and cons under cons that it was too heavy. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After much deliberation, I have decided against this saw. It's quite a bit of a drive for me, and there are just quite a few unknowns here. I'm very new to all of this, and I'd just feel more comfortable with something with a riving knife and a warranty and something I KNOW can go to 240v.

Looking closer at increasing my budget and going with one of the following:

Delta 36-725 (just wish there were some reviews on it) local Lowes just got their first two in this AM.

Ridgid R4512, I'm just a little worried about alignment issues with this one.

Thank you all for your responses and research!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts