Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at differing patterns using repetitive wood figures like the rhombus pattern. While looking through ETSY items for ideas and came across this. I don't want to copy this pattern but I've got an idea of my own that I'd like to head towards but don't have a clear vision on how to proceed.

Does anyone have any input on how to approach this type of varying width pieces? I have a few ideas but they all have big question marks a few steps in. My good friend says it is a math problem. Is there some sort of math I can use to achieve a pattern along this line? I'm thinking I can use a taper jig but my mind draws a blank once strips are cut. I'm heading out to the shop now and will be running a few mock-ups to see where it goes but many times that just creates more questions. I would love any pointers should they be available.

TonyM

Attachments

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
delusion

Personally, I wouldn't like to cut on that board. An optical illusion is the last thing I would think you would want to be looking at when holding a sharp knife in your hand.
I concur. I'm not trying for a cutting board. I am making a tabletop and will hopefully be able to combine my previous rhombus pattern pieces with this type of wood pattern and come up with something unique. I made enough cutting boards to furnish every relative with one (and a back-up).

Combining these may be impossible to do but I want to give it a shot. Every time I figure I can't do something but try anyway I come out ahead regardless of success or not. I should add I won't be making a tabletop for eating...that would be weird.

TonyM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.