Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at differing patterns using repetitive wood figures like the rhombus pattern. While looking through ETSY items for ideas and came across this. I don't want to copy this pattern but I've got an idea of my own that I'd like to head towards but don't have a clear vision on how to proceed.

Does anyone have any input on how to approach this type of varying width pieces? I have a few ideas but they all have big question marks a few steps in. My good friend says it is a math problem. Is there some sort of math I can use to achieve a pattern along this line? I'm thinking I can use a taper jig but my mind draws a blank once strips are cut. I'm heading out to the shop now and will be running a few mock-ups to see where it goes but many times that just creates more questions. I would love any pointers should they be available.

TonyM

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been looking at differing patterns using repetitive wood figures like the rhombus pattern. While looking through ETSY items for ideas and came across this. I don't want to copy this pattern but I've got an idea of my own that I'd like to head towards but don't have a clear vision on how to proceed.

Does anyone have any input on how to approach this type of varying width pieces? I have a few ideas but they all have big question marks a few steps in. My good friend says it is a math problem. Is there some sort of math I can use to achieve a pattern along this line? I'm thinking I can use a taper jig but my mind draws a blank once strips are cut. I'm heading out to the shop now and will be running a few mock-ups to see where it goes but many times that just creates more questions. I would love any pointers should they be available.

TonyM

Personally, I wouldn't like to cut on that board. An optical illusion is the last thing I would think you would want to be looking at when holding a sharp knife in your hand.

But to answer your question, it looks like it's what you said. Setting up a tapering jig and cutting several long strips on the endgrain then flip them over and arrange them like you want looks like it will do the trick.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
delusion

Personally, I wouldn't like to cut on that board. An optical illusion is the last thing I would think you would want to be looking at when holding a sharp knife in your hand.
I concur. I'm not trying for a cutting board. I am making a tabletop and will hopefully be able to combine my previous rhombus pattern pieces with this type of wood pattern and come up with something unique. I made enough cutting boards to furnish every relative with one (and a back-up).

Combining these may be impossible to do but I want to give it a shot. Every time I figure I can't do something but try anyway I come out ahead regardless of success or not. I should add I won't be making a tabletop for eating...that would be weird.

TonyM

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do not see any tapers in that picture. The rows decrease by about 1/4" and each piece in each row also decreases by about 1/4". This pattern follows to the center, then the pieces increase by the same amount and each row increases again. Without actually measuring, it would go something like this....2, 1 3/4, 1 1/2, 1 1/4, 1, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/4 at the center of each outside row. Since the second piece from each corner would be 1 3/4, the second row will continue to be 1 3/4 wide all the way across and the individual pieces will follow the original number list to the center of that row. This pattern will continue to the center of the table.

·
puffessional Scrabbleist
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

That appears logical. I'll do a mock up and report back.

Thanks
TonyM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts