Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Always wanted to try a lion fish, so last night I started making some sawdust ;)

After looking thru a whole bunch of pics to get a better idea of the lines, curves & proportions, I dis some quick sketches:

Drawing Sketch Fish Fish Artwork

Then I stuck them to my wood pieces with a glue stick and unused the bandsaw to cut out the body outline and the pectoral fins:

Feather Illustration Paper Wing Tail

For the pectoral fins I used a thick piece and then resawed it in half to get two identical pieces. It was tricky trying to get a 3D form with the bandsaw...

Wood Beige Illustration Paper

One problem I have is that underneath there are 3 fins - 2paired and a single one. I have to figure out a way to hollow out between the paired ones - don't think the bandsaw will work:

Paper Leaf Origami Art Feather

Methinks it's time to break out the Dremel...the dust continues to fly tonight :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dremels are sooooo useful! After some judicious shaping:

Wood Plywood Carving Hardwood Table

Was able to get out the material in between the two ventral fins, too :)

Next was making a couple slots for the pectoral fins:

Wine bottle

Dry fit:

Feather Wing Eagle Wood Carving

Oh, wait a minute, he's got to be able to see:

Feather Wing Bird Hardwood Wood

Feather Bird Hardwood Origami Wing

Now I gotta give him some lips. Not sure whether to make some or Dremel out an outline...

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Good job! Those fish are anathema here in the Caribbean. We have derbies to hunt them all the time. In fact, they are introducing a lot of good divers to the darker art of spearfishing!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having grew up in Puerto Rico I know the problems that these fish are bringing to the reefs-they have no natural predators in the Caribbean and eat like pigs. I have several friends there who are divers and they spear as many as they can when ever they're out. I haven't been back there for a few years but I do remember seeing only one at my childhood beach just south of what used to be Ramey Air Force Base in Aguadilla.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Pretty awesome so far. I can't wait to see it completed. I've seen tons of carved fish. But I don't recall ever seeing a carved lion fish. Very cool!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good job! Those fish are anathema here in the Caribbean. We have derbies to hunt them all the time. In fact, they are introducing a lot of good divers to the darker art of spearfishing!
And a lot of chef's on how to cook them. We saw a bunch in Grand Cayman.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
And a lot of chef's on how to cook them. We saw a bunch in Grand Cayman.
Captain Randy on Emerald Charters out of Jupiter Beach makes it fun during the surface interval as he filets up a few of them and serves them up as sashimi. Quite a show.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure if it's pine(it doesn't have that classic pine smell to it) or something else...it's actually from a shipping pallet. I case the loading dock at work regularly and sometimes I find some really nice grain pine, oak, and even Baltic birch.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts