Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with Ryan50hrl. The linked project looks nice.

If your thread title is correct, you already appreciate this may be beyond your skills and tools.

If you are asking, it may mean your thread title is correct, this is not a good first time project.

What have you built so far?

What tools do you own, or have access to use?

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
For most of it, it wouldn't be as hard to make as you think. The sides you could make like tongue and groove joints and once assembled apply some small molding around the panel. Then the drawer fronts are just flat pieces of wood with small molding applied around the edges. You wouldn't have to make the pieces on the corners hinged. They could be permanent and just have the drawers slide between. The only difficult part might be the carvings and knobs. I'm sure you could find something at Van ***** Restorers you could buy to use in it's place.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
For anyone less than a full-on pro this can cause some problems.It's not that it's hard per se....but,theres a lot of managing that will be required.Heck,I'm not going to even write the dz or so things you'll need to keep on top of.

It is very doable.....do yourself a favor and work on some research.Find out a little about where this pce of furniture fits in with the furn. industry timeline.That will help a little,and not cost anything.Next,work on some scale drawings....may have to invest in a few drafting tools.And I'd stick with oldschool drafting techniques here.....You're trying to get a "feel" or signature for the pce before anything else.

Just to go off on a slight tangent....Jos. Binks invents the spraygun in or around 1870.How does this affect the furn. industry?What was the wood situation like in your pces(industry procurement),"born on date"?Any research you can do to give a leg up,may save a bit of time downstream.Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 with Ryan50hrl. The linked project looks nice.

If your thread title is correct, you already appreciate this may be beyond your skills and tools.

If you are asking, it may mean your thread title is correct, this is not a good first time project.

What have you built so far?

What tools do you own, or have access to use?
My skill level is beginer. I've just finished my first chest of drawers. (Used Norm Abram's design)(will post pictures soon) I'm not afraid of a challenge, I love to learn new things. I know I can do it as long as I'm willing to take my time and understand that it will take a long time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I want to build this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Fine-V...510?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item51b3bf9a46

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture of it.
what kind of tool's ?? you will need some good tool's , looking at that and i been in wood building for 50 or so yrs and that would be a very hard project for a (over my head) builder . lot's of drawer's ect, dovetale's ect and lot's of molding, , maybe pass on this ? good luck i have build dressers and other house hold furniture item's and i wouldn't tackle this unless i had lot's of time, this is a big project , also for a pro to do , but it can be done,

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

If this is your first project, you could pick up a roll of white or brown wrapping paper at the stationery section of grocery stores or stores like CVS. Draw out the box full size in detail, with the wall thicknesses, and what joinery you will use.

You could do one in plan view (looking down), and one in elevation (looking at it). Once you have the parts cut out or a dry fit, it should fit right on your drawing. For all the other frill, like carvings, there are many sources of applied mouldings that you can just glue in place.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what kind of tool's ?? you will need some good tool's , looking at that and i been in wood building for 50 or so yrs and that would be a very hard project for a (over my head) builder . lot's of drawer's ect, dovetale's ect and lot's of molding, , maybe pass on this ? good luck i have build dressers and other house hold furniture item's and i wouldn't tackle this unless i had lot's of time, this is a big project , also for a pro to do , but it can be done,
Here's a list of tools I have...
Table saw, router and router table, radial arm saw, drills, jig saw, dovetail jig(I did flush mount half blind dovetail joints on the drawers of my first project), ect...

I don't have a jointer but I've learned how to joint boards for glue up with my router, a straight bit and a jig. I don't have a planer but am saving for one.

I really love the design of this one. The middle storage section could be designed with a speed lock and used for my 45 auto. (not to worry, I'm a combat vet)

·
7,222 Posts
Here's a list of tools I have...
Table saw, router and router table, radial arm saw, drills, jig saw, dovetail jig(I did flush mount half blind dovetail joints on the drawers of my first project), ect...

I don't have a jointer but I've learned how to joint boards for glue up with my router, a straight bit and a jig. I don't have a planer but am saving for one.

I really love the design of this one. The middle storage section could be designed with a speed lock and used for my 45 auto. (not to worry, I'm a combat vet)
Now that we understand the tools available, do you have any specific questions?

C'man had good advise on how to start the plan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have one question...

I've noticed to basic themes for building chest of drawers. One is to build solid panels for the sides and attach frames between the two sides(this is the way my first was done). The other is to start with four post and connect with frame rails. I'm lucky to have a dresser like this. (It's at least 100 years old) I've pulled out the drawers and crawled all over it with a flashlight to figure out how they did it. They did a mortis and tenon for the front rails but the drawers rails are just nailed to the post on the inside. I'd like to figure a way to do that better.

I have a picture on my computer what I'm talking about but I can't figure out how to put it on here. It ask for the url. What is a url?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I've noticed to basic themes for building chest of drawers. One is to build solid panels for the sides and attach frames between the two sides(this is the way my first was done). The other is to start with four post and connect with frame rails. I'm lucky to have a dresser like this. (It's at least 100 years old) I've pulled out the drawers and crawled all over it with a flashlight to figure out how they did it. They did a mortis and tenon for the front rails but the drawers rails are just nailed to the post on the inside. I'd like to figure a way to do that better.

I have a picture on my computer what I'm talking about but I can't figure out how to put it on here. It ask for the url. What is a url?
If you scroll down to manage attachments, click on the "browse", and that will bring up the pictures on your computer. If you have other questions go here.

URL means "uniform resource locator" IOW...a web address.

·
7,222 Posts

Take a look at my post #11 which has screen snapshots of the Manage Attachments window.

I think you needed to click on a Browse button to get to the folders on your computer.

Another part of the window is designed to link an image, which would require pasting in the site address aka Universal Resource Locator, e.g., http://*********

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/my-first-lidded-box-48481/

The old furnuture makers did a lot of detail work on the outside, but as you observed may have taken shortcuts on the inside.

If I were making a chest of drawers, I would also want a more sturdy method to install the rails for the drawers. Joint and/or screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.