Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it upon myself to furnish my home as much as possible. Still have quite a few ambitious (for my skill set) projects such as a dining room table, bed, dresser, outdoor table, night stands and a few odds and ends.

Currently I have a bargain brand compound miter saw, nice higher end cman router, ryobi lithium drill and impact, cman circular saw and a random orbit sander.

My dream list is a new table saw, jigsaw, planer, jointer, router table and a drill press but the fact that I have a very limited space to work constrains the size and number of the more stationary tools. Also other expensive hobbies are prohibitive of going and purchasing top end kit.

For the hobbyist, what sort of priority would you put these in for making various furniture pieces? I currently use kreg joinery but would like to start working with dadoes whether it be on a router table or a table saw.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would get a middle of the road table saw. That combined with what you already have, minus a nice work table and clamps and assorted hand tools you have the beginnings of a decent little shop. Watch Craigslist like a hawk. Great deals to be had there. Quality stuff for cheaper than subpar stuff from harbor freight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Table saw and quality blades
Jointer
Planer
Router table and bits
Drill Press
Band saw

Just my opinion:thumbsup:

Depending on where you live most woodworking tools are available used at very good prices. Craiglist, garage and estate sales are some places to look. If you are making quality furniture for your home with just the tools you have..........good for you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO:
Table saw with a decent miter gauge and blades
Router and table with lift if possible
Band Saw
Drill Press
Planer
Jointer

Get the best of all of this as you can afford, as you can afford it. In between, pick up Vix bits, clamps (lots and varied) a good set of layout tools including a Wixey angle box, router bits (individuals not sets which are a waste of money), dust collection of some sort, good shop lighting, a basic selection of hand tools, ROS, belt sander, cordless drills, tailed drill and on and on. And one other thing to try NOT to get...a divorce.

Getting a fully equipped shop all at once is like winning the lottery. It sure is fun to dream about when driving down the road...but it ain't gonna happen. Have fun and work safely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have space constraints. I am currently working on a bench tool storage rack. I am mounting my grinder, disk/belt sander, bench drill press and a Proxxon mini table saw to 16"x16" boards that drop into a cutout on the bench and are stored on 6' a vertical rack. I went with a square so that the disk/belt sander and saw could be mounted in different orientations. It could also be made to accommodate a smaller jointer, a planer, and a compound saw.

Scott

·
Registered
611 Posts
saramos said:
I also have space constraints. I am currently working on a bench tool storage rack. I am mounting my grinder, disk/belt sander, bench drill press and a Proxxon mini table saw to 16"x16" boards that drop into a cutout on the bench and are stored on 6' a vertical rack. I went with a square so that the disk/belt sander and saw could be mounted in different orientations. It could also be made to accommodate a smaller jointer, a planer, and a compound saw.

Scott
Clever idea with the cutout!

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
For home shop use I don't see anything wrong with a contractor size saw. You could get one with a mobile base to where you could roll it out in your driveway to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts